The Black Gold Nova

The Black Gold Nova

Postby john-macdonough » Sun Nov 10, 2013 5:11 pm

I was out at the observatory site last night. The new oil rig due west of the field wasn't as bright as the rig that used to be on the Big Wire propert; however, it wasn't operational yet. The light dome isn't as big yet and it is confined to the western sky. It didn't affect my observing in the north and east at all. It'll be a trick to keep the lights out of your eyes, though as the lights do shine directly onto the field.
Jack
john-macdonough

Re: The Black Gold Nova

Postby clamison » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:15 pm

I joined HAS after the previous rig was removed but was at the site Monday and the rig lights were on. Was also observing mostly to the north and east and light did not affect my observing. The dew was a far bigger problem as I was unequipped to handle it. I believe I even spotted Achernar thru the trees to the south. The western pad I was on was somewhat shielded by the trees but with dark adapted eyes I could see shadows on the field. It is close enough you can hear the workers. :(
Regards,

Craig Lamison
clamison

Re: The Black Gold Nova

Postby rene-gedaly » Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:03 am

Funny you mention Achernar. The first time someone mentioned seeing Achernar at the site, I immediately discounted it as impossible. I'm not usually so cynical but according to my planisphere it would've landed within the tree tops. But then I decided to look for it anyway. Sure enough, it's quite bright among the trees. If you tend to the analytical, it helps to channel your ditzy side so you don't second guess whether to look up or not and miss out on some good observing. This last Nov 3rd, Achernar crossed through a nice little sweet spot due south. Made for a nice find while I decided whether to car camp and get up in time for Comet ISON. Thanks to a member with a 12 inch aperture go-to scope, I did get a few good, long looks and we even saw movement across the star field. :D
Rene Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Return to Observatory