Hinds Crimson Star

Hinds Crimson Star

Postby edward-fraini » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:00 pm

Last Wed a group of us had a great view of Orion the southern sky, that prompted a discussion about one of my all time favorite objects-Hinds Crimson Star. It is a bit of a challenge to star hop too as there are no bright stars really close. But you can vector in on it pretty easily. It is very small and VERY red.

If you look at the attached drawing you will see three vector lines that are dashed. The first is a straight line from Mintak (the most northern star in Orion’s Belt) through Rigel. The end point of this vector is about 90 percent of the distance between Mintak and Rigel down the line from Rigel. The Second vector is a line from Arneb, alpha Lep, through SAO150237. An SAO number is a rather non descriptor designation but it is the apex of an isosceles triangle pointing to the west. On a good seeing night this triangle is naked eye. Even under less perfect conditions you can see SAO150237 up from Arneb and construct the vector. The last vector that might be used is the upper leg of the triangle; if you rotate up this leg of the triangle you will be close.

It can be hard to find because it is so small but will be worth the effort.

Ed Fra.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edward-fraini

Re: Hinds Crimson Star

Postby sfast » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:05 pm

Ed, thanks for posting this. I'll have to take a look at it next time I'm out there. Steve
sfast

Return to Deep Sky