Deep Sky Binocular Program

Deep Sky Binocular Program

Postby stephen-jones » Thu Dec 01, 2016 1:30 pm

So, since it was going to be the only really good night of the Thanksgiving weekend, I made a point to get out to the dark site on the night before Thanksgiving... but I didn't have time to bring my scope... so on a whim I decided to bring out the binoculars and start the Deep Sky Binocular program (I've already done Binocular Messier). Turns out, that since most of the objects are Milky Way objects, there's a nice big gap in the RA of the list, right around springtime (when the Milky Way is out of sight to the south)... so, it looked like the list might just be marathonable... I wonder just how possible that is?

Well I got my answer... one of the objects in Sagittarius was already set by the time it was dark enough for me to observe, but I managed to grab all the other summer objects before they set.... and I just kept going...

at 2 am I had logged 58 of the 60 objects on the list. The last object, the list's only Spring object, was Melotte 111, the Coma star cluster. I could've stayed up 2 more hours to wait for it, and I would've if it would have completed the marathon, but since I'd already missed the first object I opted for sleep. I'll bag those last two later.

Nonetheless, an absolutely joyful night of binocular observing.
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones

Re: Deep Sky Binocular Program

Postby edward-fraini » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:31 am

Way to go Stephen, others report that that was a great observing night.

EdF
edward-fraini

Postby rene-gedaly » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:03 pm

I wish forums had Like buttons. I really enjoy binocular viewing myself and I also really, really like observing objects out of season. LIKE :D
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer, Past Prez
rene-gedaly

Postby rene-gedaly » Mon Jun 18, 2018 7:39 am

Thought I was further along. No matter. Really like the binocular lists. Good practice sweeping the sky.

34 observed; 26 to go.
rene-gedaly

Postby rene-gedaly » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:54 am

Supposed to be a good night at the dark site but the weather blew in. Then around 10 pm, the clouds cleared in the southeast and I got five objects identified, two sketched (because they are also on the Open Cluster list). In Vulpecula, Serpens Cauda, and Sagittarius.

21 to go.
rene-gedaly

Postby rene-gedaly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:45 am

And now the other way to do deep sky binocular. Finished transcribing observations and found I completed the list. From 2010 until now :D
rene-gedaly

Return to Astroleague Observing Programs