What happened

What happened

Postby steve-pinney » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:27 pm

to this thread? It looks like it would be fun and good info here for noobs like me!
Unitron 128 (under construction) - Tasco 10TE-5 (under construction)
TAL-1M - Parks PRT-46 D60/F900
Astro-Tech 8" F/4 Newtonian
Explore Scientific ED80
Celestron 5
Meade ETX-90EC
Jason Comet Chaser (Cause it's cute)
CG5 Mount
steve-pinney

Re: What happened

Postby steve-fung » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:46 pm

Those were my thoughts exactly before I joined HAS. Majority of my observing is from my backyard and driveway (despite bad light pollution) because of work and family schedule. The kids get to enjoy a quick see and then get to run back home. It would be great to have this thread revived.
steve-fung

Postby rene-gedaly » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:50 pm

I think we were throwing things against the wall to see what would stick. At the time, it looked like the email list, Netslyder, was still, is still, the preferred mode of communication. HAS started with Netslyder, then the Forums, and now Facebook. But to resurrect this thread we'd need a champion. I'll talk to the novice chair, but it might be one of those things that either takes off or doesn't. I wish it would.
Rene Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Postby debbie-moran » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:39 pm

Sorry, I fell down on the job. I will post some more tips for backyard observing for this month. There certainly is a lot to see!
debbie-moran

Postby steve-pinney » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:42 pm

debbie-moran wrote:Sorry, I fell down on the job. I will post some more tips for backyard observing for this month. There certainly is a lot to see!

While you are at it can you do something about the weather? yeah . . thata be greaaat. :)
Unitron 128 (under construction) - Tasco 10TE-5 (under construction)
TAL-1M - Parks PRT-46 D60/F900
Astro-Tech 8" F/4 Newtonian
Explore Scientific ED80
Celestron 5
Meade ETX-90EC
Jason Comet Chaser (Cause it's cute)
CG5 Mount
steve-pinney

Postby rene-gedaly » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:44 am

Steves: There's a relaunch of the Backyard Observing Program that starts Jan 1, 2018. This one will follow the yearly guide put out by the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada (RASC). I've been wanting to work their The Sky Month by Month section forever, it seems, and now have the bandwidth to do so. Hope you have the bandwidth to find objects of interest to view yourself!
Rene Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Postby kdrake » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:58 am

I find it difficult to, even now after retirement, keep up with all the goings on in local astronomy. Netslyder is self maintaining. No offense Mark. Facebook can get filled with noise except for the private pages like the HAS FB. Does anyone know how to get it to feed to my FB page? It was and then mysteriously stopped. I continue to get the feeds from the two RV FB pages I watch so what gives with the disappearance of HAS FB? I for one, can surely contribute to this board forum (backyard observing). Reviving it would be nice.
kdrake

Return to Backyard Observing Program