What a great set of mirrors!!

What a great set of mirrors!!

Postby edward-fraini » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:12 pm

Last night, Saturday, I observed the moon with the F7 in the observatory. Must say that is a great telescope. I have half a dozen scopes of all types and none compare to the resolution and clarity offered by the F7. Too bad the mount has gotten into the condition it has. Sure it has always been shaky and moment arm challenged but it used to be smooth in both RA and Dec. Between the lot of us do you think we have the skill set to replicate the bearings and clutch mechanism from a Losmandy mount. It would be so much more useful if you could star hop with the F7 but that is really not much of an option now to to stickation in the dec axis.

I would be glad to help upgrade the mount with thrust bearings.

Ed
edward-fraini

Re: What a great set of mirrors!!

Postby edward-fraini » Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:58 pm

We used the opportunity of having the observatory all to ourselves to do a little comparison test. Pictures of the moon were captured using an Iphone held up to the eyepiece of both the C14 and the F7. Many many shots were taken while trying to improve the focus. Attached is the best shot of the near full moon with both telescopes at about the same power and time.

No post processing other than to reduce the file size.

Not saying all the experimental parameters where necessarily the same but the results are pretty clear.

You tell me what you can conclude.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edward-fraini

Re: What a great set of mirrors!!

Postby stephen-jones » Mon Aug 10, 2015 7:39 pm

The F7 is definitely a wonderful scope. I do wish we could find a way to improve or upgrade the mount. I love using that thing when I'm not able to get my 16" out there.
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones

Return to Lunar and Planetary