Lunar Viewing Tonight

Lunar Viewing Tonight

Postby arnie-hauswald » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 pm

Such joy I can hardly suppress. S=4/5. T=4/5 Inst. is ST-80 refractor w/25mm (16x) E.P.. 13% Moon filter, with stacked on Med Blue filter.

The brightening was frightening, even with the 25% MF. Stacking on the Med Blue dampened it down to oh-so-nice. Not even looking for features. Just enjoying the view of the full disc.

[edit: 11:43PM. Tried swapping out the med blue filter with a deep yellow. The deep yellow better brought out the contrast between the Mare and the Highlands, but was not as aesthetically pleasing as the med blue. Guess that's why they offer multiple filters in sets?]

Hope you all are taking an opportunity to see it as well. Cheers,

Arnie
HAS member & lunar observer
ST-80 Refractor
15x70 Giant Binocs
arnie-hauswald

Re: Lunar Viewing Tonight

Postby Garret » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:15 am

Is that piece any good for lunar imaging?
Garret

Re: Lunar Viewing Tonight

Postby arnie-hauswald » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:18 pm

Residence, NW HouTX. 8:34PM CDT. 57deg. F Clr. Cool. S= 3/5 T= 4/5

Magnificent lunar viewing for me tonight. My first look at the night sky and the Moon this month. Got final release from my doctor yesterday following cataract removal and astigmatism correction both eyes.

WOW! Like seeing it all for the first time. Such clarity and detail - and this at a D14 Moon. Ray pattern on cr. Proclus - first time I've seen that. And the contrast, just b/w Mare Crisium, cr Proclus, and Mare Tranquillitatis - spectacular. Tried capturing it with a rudimentary sketch, but fell short of what I really was seeing.

Of course, there is a drawback. As always. My close vision requires reading glasses. Try switching from sunglasses with giant binocs, to reading glasses to transfer info to a journal, while at the same time trying to hold a tiny flashlight to write by. . .I'm thinking a voice recorder may be the answer. That doesn't solve the issue of sketching from the eyepiece, but, one issue at a time.

Anyway, great being back at it again. Hope your viewing tonight was all it could be. Cheers,

-arnie-
HAS member & lunar observer
ST-80 Refractor
15x70 Giant Binocs
arnie-hauswald

Return to Lunar and Planetary