Plan for a rare event!!

Plan for a rare event!!

Postby edward-fraini » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:17 pm

According to the October issue of Astronomy Magazine we have a rare solar system occurrence on the night of October 11/12. This will be a Friday night. The moon will be very low in the western sky and setting about the time the triple event ends. You can read the full details in the “When to View the Plants” segment beginning on page 42. So here is what we have in store. First will be a rare transit of three moon shadows on the surface of Jupiter. Unfortunately Jupiter will just be above the horizon at the time Callisto shadow exits. I am not sure the eastern horizon from Columbus will allow us to see what we want. Between now and then I intend to sort our what the eastern limit really is from the center pads. This is followed by a 1.6 mag appearance of Mars in the early morning hours. Mars will be crossing the sky in tandem with Comet ISON, both of which will be near Regulus.
I call your attention to this as I will have “BIG EYE” (150MM f15) set up inside the ring of pads and I invite you to set up near me with your refractor if you have one so we can share this great opportunity to view the plants.
Of course all will be welcomed for an off night, Friday, of viewing.

And if the Oil Rig is still there just forget it!!!!

Ed F
edward-fraini

Re: Plan for a rare event!!

Postby richard-nugent » Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:27 am

Another good event for Friday night October 11 is a total occultation by the 1st quarter Moon of a m=+3.9 star at approximately 7:08 PM. This is not a known double star so it should be a "Lights out" event with no gradual disappearance. Don't miss it !!

Richard Nugent
richard-nugent

Postby joe-khalaf » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:03 pm

I read that and thought it would be a great event to observe. A few of us are headed to the outreach event for Camp for All near Brenham that evening, and we'll be shutting down somewhat early. I'll need to come up with another place to catch this (unfortunately, Columbus will be too far a drive at that time.)
H.A.S. Vice President and Outreach Co-Chair
Meade 12" LX200GPS
Celestron 8" Advanced Series GT
Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60mm
Vixen 16x80 Giant ARK binoculars
Vixen 10x50 Ascot Super Wide binoculars
joe-khalaf

Postby bram-weisman » Sun Oct 06, 2013 3:21 pm

Not to worry, Joe. You can stay as long as you want at Camp for All.
Unfortunately, we cannot bring RV or pitch tents. But no one says we cannot sleep in a lawn chair or in vehicle. :-).

Bram
bram-weisman

Return to Lunar and Planetary