nice night for looking at the moon and jupiter

nice night for looking at the moon and jupiter

Postby matt-hutchinson » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:08 pm

ive got the moon and jupiter in my scope at the same time with my 40 mm looks pretty awesome. also i wanted to ask i was looking at the moon with my 10mm and i saw a tiny object pass in front of the moon it looked like a rock and was a pretty sharp image what was that?
hello my name is Matt...
matt-hutchinson

Re: nice night for looking at the moon and jupiter

Postby rene-gedaly » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:08 am

Could it have been a transit of Ganymede? Steve Fast just posted that thought to Netslyder. Are you signed up for our email list server, Netslyder?
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Postby matt-hutchinson » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 am

no i am not i will sign up later today. i also saw what i think was an object falling into the atmosphere zoom across my scope while looking at Jupiter with a 10mm. A large blue streak came across the lense. the object i saw was passing between my scope and our moon it was small and fast it was moving in a straight line with a slow forward rolling motion to it with roundish edges. it had to of been pretty far away judging the distance it was closer to the moon and earth .

on a side not a fourth moon became visible last night around 8pm it was closest to Jupiter but with my scope i could not tell if it came from in front of Jupiter or behind it what are the moons you can see from a 114mm scope? i thought it was Io Callisto and Europa is the 4th one Ganymede?
hello my name is Matt...
matt-hutchinson

Postby joshua-babin » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:26 am

Could have been a satellite *shrugs*
There's tons of them up there!
Clear Skies!
-Josh

Orion xt8
joshua-babin

Postby matt-hutchinson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:26 pm

that's most likely what it was some piece of space debris or a sat it looked cool because from my view point it went almost right across the center of the moon and the moons brightness made it look very clear and sharp passing in front of it.
hello my name is Matt...
matt-hutchinson

Return to Lunar and Planetary