Lyrids Meteor Shower

Lyrids Meteor Shower

Postby arnie-hauswald » Mon Apr 09, 2012 2:25 pm

Hey guys and gals, curiosity question:

Will I be able to monitor the Lyrids on radio FM 88-104 MHz?

Asking because at last Fridays' general meeting presentation on the 'New Moon', Dr. commented that even if one was unable to support the NASA LADEE mission visually, a radio signal meteor count, which would be useful, could contribute. He mentioned FM freq's 88-104 MHz.

So, as a spin up to that, can the Lyrids, or for that matter, any meteor showers be monitored on FM 88-104? That's a wide freq sweep. If so, anyone out there have a more specific freq to use on that band? And, just how much senstitivty is required? A Radio Shack rig; or a dedicated ham rig?

Yeah, I'll do the visual thing, S&T permitting. But having radio back-up in the background might prove an interesting adjunct. Just for grins. Your thoughts?

Arnie
HAS member & lunar observer
ST-80 Refractor
15x70 Giant Binocs
arnie-hauswald

Re: Lyrids Meteor Shower

Postby nathan-price » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:01 pm

Hi Arnie,

I've been interested in meteors recently. And your post set me off doing some research online. From the best I can tell (remember this is from a newbie with access to Google, so I'm ready to learn)... From the best I can tell, what you would be monitoring is not radio waves generated by the meteor but rather a reflection of radio waves from man made sources. Apparently meteors and their trails can reflect radio waves. After looking through about a dozen pages, this is the best explanation that I found on how to do it: http://www.skyscan.ca/meteor_radio_detection.htm

Nathan
nathan-price

Return to Comets and Minor Planets