Comet PanSTARRS: Did you see it?

Comet PanSTARRS: Did you see it?

Postby rene-gedaly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:10 pm

I saw the comet at about 8:13 CST Mar 11, 2013 from the NHAC site in Montgomery, TX. Brightest coma I've personally seen, bright salmon color, single, fanned out tail, "left" of where sun set. A little higher over the tree tops than I was expecting, about 10 or so degrees. With 10x50 binoculars and 10" Dobsonian.
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Re: Comet PanSTARRS: Did you see it?

Postby arnie-hauswald » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Sharon and I observed it at Bear Creek Park tonight. Excellent view of twin tails. Viewing done with unaided eye; 7x50 handheld binocs; 15x70 mounted binocs. Sharon completed an on-site sketch. Appx duration: 7:38PM - 7:50PM CDT. Very nice.

[edit 3/13/13 - after reading comments on NetSlider, not sure what we saw was PanSTARRS. Try again tonight. //ah//]

We're going back again tomorrow night. "Al" from HAS was there tonight. My first opportunity to make his acquaintance.

-arnie-
Last edited by arnie-hauswald on Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
HAS member & lunar observer
ST-80 Refractor
15x70 Giant Binocs
arnie-hauswald

Postby edward-fraini » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:53 pm

I tried to observe it from Tomball but was not successful, maybe being north of Houston was the problem. I stood out in that field thinking I bet Rene and or Steve F. are out in Columbus on this great evening!! I was able to catch the thin moon which was pretty spectacular.

Good for you Rene, and others.

Ed F.
edward-fraini

Postby rene-gedaly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:13 pm

You're just not far enough north, Ed :D I decided to return to Montgomery and Ray joined me for a truly memorable evening. Herewith:

7:48 Rene spots crescent moon in 10x50 Nikon binoculars. The most crescent-y I've personally seen.
8:04 Ray spots L4 in 12x60 binoculars, one fist's width at 315 degrees or so from crescent moon
8:05 Rene spots L4 in 10x50 binoculars, crescent moon and L4 in same field of view
8:08 Ray finds L4 in 8x50 finder scope and then 30 mm eyepiece of 10" Dobsonian
8:29 Rene spots satellite moving south, west of Procyon. Ray wonders if it could be...
8:30 the iridium flare! First one Ray and I have ever seen. Very surprised at how blindingly bright and long lasting it was, and how long it took to fade. Thank you, Drako, for the tip!
8:35 Notice that it's a beautiful, starry night. We pack it up to go home without seeing a single DSO. Before yesterday, that would have been unthinkable.

The coma was whiter than yesterday with same single, fan-shaped tail, much less salmon-colored, and dimmer. Never got naked-eye for either of us.

Hoping to get to Columbus tomorrow night and check out that new bunkhouse!
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Postby john-haynes » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:11 am

I was able to see it from my driveway around 1960/290. From my driveway, I have a good view down the street and caught it for about 30-45 min before it set behind the apartments down the road. I have some pics, just haven't processed them yet.

My gear:
Meade 2080 8" SCT OTA
Brandon Vernonscope 82mm f/3.7 refractor
Meade DS-2000 90mm f/11 refractor
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
SBIG STF-8300C
Canon 350D (Astro-modded)
john-haynes

Postby arnie-hauswald » Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:15 pm

We observed it for sure last night. No Boeing comet this time! :lol: Bear Creek Park HAS Urban Observing Site again. Picked it out of the sky initially 8:15PM CDT by panning with my 15x70 mounted giant binocs. After that could follow it easily with my 7x50 hand held binocs. Additionally Sharon was able to view it unaided eye. Me? Not so fortunate. Had to rely on optics. Sharon also did a sketch observing through the 15x70's. Lost to view 8:33PM CDT. So for our first comet, duration was a great aid. Very exciting.

Ed M. and Brenda were there as well and enjoyed the viewing. Good having fellow HAS members there to chat with.

-arnie-
HAS member & lunar observer
ST-80 Refractor
15x70 Giant Binocs
arnie-hauswald

Return to Comets and Minor Planets