Great Winter Outreach Challenge & Giveaway

Great Winter Outreach Challenge & Giveaway

Postby joe-khalaf » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:59 pm

Greetings HAS-tronomers!

As you all know, the Houston Astronomical Society is busy year-round with outreach events, and at no time is this truer than in the winter. With darkness occurring earlier, cooler evening weather, and wonderful winter night skies, our group of dedicated outreach volunteers are visiting people all over Houston, sharing the night skies with the citizens of our great city.

So, to reward our dedicated volunteers, we're announcing the Great Winter Outreach Challenge. This challenge will culminate with a drawing where one lucky volunteer will win a brand new Explore Scientific 14mm, 82 degree, argon-purged waterproof eyepiece. You can read more about this eyepiece here: https://www.astronomics.com/14mm-82-fie ... 20165.aspx. Based on the reviews, this is a stunning eyepiece that provides all-around great views in practically any type of telescope. In addition, we're also going to give away a wonderful celestial globe, generously donated to us by Sky & Telescope!

How can you become eligible to participate in the drawing for this eyepiece? I've outlined the rules below, but in essence, you'll need to be a member of the H.A.S. at the time of the drawing at our March meeting, you will have actively participated in at least two official H.A.S. outreach events from November 2016 - February 2017, and you will have logged your volunteer time to the Night Sky Network website that we use to track our outreach efforts. If you've never done outreach before, this is a great way to get started, plus you'll have a chance to win that fantastic eyepiece at the end of the challenge.

So, how does it work, Joe?

I'm so glad you asked...Any HAS member who participates in 2 outreach events in a public-facing capacity with a telescope or binoculars for at least one hour each from November through February gets their name entered in a drawing for the eyepiece at the March meeting. Long sentence...I know...Two outreach events gets you one entry. At four events, participants are given one more entry. Once a participant gets to 6 events, they are given three additional entries for a total of five. Every outreach event you participate in after 6 will get you one additional entry. This is only limited by the number of club outreach events we hold in that time frame. At the March meeting, we will throw all entries into a hat (or bucket, or whatever else we can throw them into) and will draw a name. The person whose name is drawn wins the prize. Simple, right?

Here are the four "official" rules (I'm not a legal scholar, but I've watched The Price is Right enough to know you need rules:)

1. In order to participate, the person must first be an active member of the Houston Astronomical Society at the time of the drawing during the March general meeting of the Houston Astronomical Society.
2. Entries are only considered for outreach events posted on the HAS calendar on the club website and approved by the Outreach coordinators. This excludes monthly club novice and general meetings. No outreach events for other astronomy clubs, or for personal outreach endeavors will count towards this challenge. If you're wondering, weekends at the George Observatory are not official H.A.S. outreach functions.
3. The participant must bring a telescope or binoculars to each event they want credit for and have set their equipment up for the public to observe through for at least one hour per event.
4. The participant has logged their outreach hours using the Night Sky Network website for the event. Total entries for participants will be determined by using the Night Sky Network database.

Simple enough, right? Good.

That sounds great, Joe. I'm itching to get started...What do I need to do now?

Now that you've read the rules and are itching to get out there to share your knowledge of astronomy with the public (and earn your entries in the process,) the first thing you should do is create your Night Sky Network (NSN) account. Go to https://nightsky.jpl.nasa.gov/club-appl ... ype=Member and fill out all required fields. This only takes a minute or two to complete. I'll approve your account and then from there, you just need to let me know when you're planning on showing up for the upcoming outreach events when we make a call for volunteers. Show up, do some outreach, log your hours, and get in the drawing for the eyepiece!

If you have questions, email me ([email protected]) and I'll answer them for you. We've got three events in the next three weeks, so you could have your first entry in the books and be halfway to your second one before we even get to Thanksgiving. All of our current outreach events are on the calendar at our club website, so take a look now and see which ones you want to join us at. See you at an outreach event soon!
H.A.S. President
Meade 12" LX200GPS
Celestron 8" Advanced Series GT
Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60mm
Vixen 16x80 Giant ARK binoculars
Vixen 10x50 Ascot Super Wide binoculars
joe-khalaf

Re: Great Winter Outreach Challenge & Giveaway

Postby joe-khalaf » Mon Nov 14, 2016 9:51 pm

I'm glad to see many of you excited about participating in the Great Winter Outreach Challenge. Over the last week or so, I've received a few requests for assistance in creating an account on the Night Sky Network website so that you can log your volunteer hours there. Rather than answer each of those requests individually, I figured I'd create a few videos that walk you through the process. These videos should hopefully answer any questions you have about creating your account and logging your hours.

1. How to create your Night Sky Network account:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIETmjoFKRI

2. Logging your outreach volunteer hours on the Night Sky Network:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-21w70ielZs

Many of you are already halfway to your first entry in the giveaway, and some of you will get that first entry this week. If you have any additional questions, please feel free to email me at [email protected]. Thanks.

Regards,

Joe Khalaf
H.A.S. President
Meade 12" LX200GPS
Celestron 8" Advanced Series GT
Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60mm
Vixen 16x80 Giant ARK binoculars
Vixen 10x50 Ascot Super Wide binoculars
joe-khalaf

Return to Outreach and Education