Recap - Berry Elementary School Science Night Outreach Event

Recap - Berry Elementary School Science Night Outreach Event

Postby joe-khalaf » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:40 pm

We had a great time tonight at the Berry Elementary School Science Night event in North Houston. Teresa Stokes, Steve Pinney, Ian Binmore, Ian’s son Gordon, and I shared the night sky with a few hundred students and parents at the event. I was able to spend some time indoors before the sun set to talk about the planets (with a heavy focus on Jupiter) and I had lots of fun, interesting questions from the kids.

Once the sun went down, we were able to point our telescopes towards a bevy of celestial targets, including Jupiter, Venus, M42, and Castor for an example of a double star. There were certainly lots of “oohs” and “aahs” from the children and parents alike. We also gave a tour of Orion, Gemini, Canis Major, and Taurus. The Pleiades were suspended nicely overhead and Venus and Mars in close proximity to one another made for a wonderful naked eye sight, as well. We wrapped up the viewing at approximately 7:30pm and were packed up and gone by 8pm.

For those of you who haven’t had a chance to participate in these outreach events, they’re a great time. You don’t have to be an expert – all you have to do is be able to point a telescope at a bright object. Please consider joining us at a future event!

Joe
H.A.S. President
Meade 12" LX200GPS
Celestron 8" Advanced Series GT
Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60mm
Vixen 16x80 Giant ARK binoculars
Vixen 10x50 Ascot Super Wide binoculars
joe-khalaf

Re: Recap - Berry Elementary School Science Night Outreach E

Postby steve-munsey » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:13 am

Thanks to Joe and all who attended.

I hope to be able to attend some of these events sometime soon.
So far most of the on my side of town have been conflicting with my schedule.

If the hobby is to survive and thrive it is up to us to get kids and adults a look through the scope.
Most of the time its all it takes.
Edmund Scientific Super Space Conqueror 6" f8 Newtonian Reflector
Software Bisque Paramount MX
Celestron C-11 Schmidt Cass.
Planetary, Lunar, Solar, Deep Sky
steve-munsey

Return to Outreach and Education