Where to get training on my telescope

Where to get training on my telescope

Postby jennfier-chilton » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:26 am

So I was an astronomy junkie in college. Took several courses on it, and would visit the observatories, but was too broke to afford any decent scope. Fast forward 20 years and I am trying to get back into the hobby. I just purchased a Celestron CGX 1100 HD. I am looking for a course or a person who can help me learn the basics needed for setup, collimation, alignment, balancing, etc...
Does anyone know any resources available in the area? I have tried reading up on the subjects, but I tend to learn better by "doing".

Thanks in advance,
Jennifer
jennfier-chilton

Re: Where to get training on my telescope

Postby rene-gedaly » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:44 am

Congrats on the new scope, Jennifer! And your story is a common one :D Let me ask around. Allen Wilkerson runs a class but had his last one for 2018 Tue Oct 9. In the meantime, you could ask members via the email list. There may be someone with your exact setup; it's a popular system. If you haven't signed up for the "AstroList" yet, find it here: https://www.astronomyhouston.org/about/email-list.
Rene Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Texas 45-V, WSIG, Observatory Trainer, Past President
rene-gedaly

Re: Where to get training on my telescope

Postby joe-khalaf » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:05 pm

Hi Jennifer,

As Rene said, congratulations on the 'scope and welcome to a world available with more glass! In addition to what Rene mentioned, stay tuned for one of our BYOT (Bring Your Own Telescope) classes coming up, where you can actually bring the CGX 1100 to the session and get some help from our experts. Additionally, if you want to bring your telescope to an outreach event, we'd be more than happy to help you out.
H.A.S. Vice President and Outreach Co-Chairman
Meade 12" LX200GPS
Celestron 8" Advanced Series GT
Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60mm
Vixen 16x80 Giant ARK binoculars
Vixen 10x50 Ascot Super Wide binoculars
joe-khalaf

Return to Outreach and Education