James Webb Space Telescope

A freewheeling astro-salon.

James Webb Space Telescope

Postby steve-fung » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:01 am

The February 19, 2016 issue of Science has a special article on the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST) (http://science.sciencemag.org/content/351/6275/804.full). In the article, there is a nice graphic illustrating its development and launch timeline, various technologies used in making and testing the telescope, and how it will be deployed in space.

While the telescope and instruments are presently being assembled at the Goddard Space Center in Greenbelt MD, the combined telescope and instruments will be tested in 2017 inside the giant Chamber A at the Johnson Space Center in Houston TX. This is the large cryo-vacuum chamber built to test the crew-carrying spacecraft during the Apollo program. After testing, the telescope and instruments will be shipped to California and combined with the bus/sunshield and further tested. JSWT will be then transferred by ship to French Guiana with expected launch on Ariane 5 from ESA spaceport in October 2018. Unlike the Hubble, there will be no space shuttle to fix the Webb as unfolds and deploys its components as it travels over 29 days from Earth to the L2 Lagrange Point 1.5 million km from Earth.

Official JWST Website: http://www.jwst.nasa.gov/
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steve-fung

Re: James Webb Space Telescope

Postby rene-gedaly » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:50 am

Just finished that issue. Magazines, and only a few like Science, are the only print news I can read these days. Newspapers have been going downhill for decades and I don't read as carefully online as I do with copy in my hand.
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer, Past Prez
rene-gedaly

Return to Space Station V (the Lounge)