East Houston Urban Observing!

A freewheeling astro-salon.

East Houston Urban Observing!

Postby henry-gonzalez » Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:38 pm

Time: 7:30pm
Friday 2/26/16

First official East Houston Urban Observing/Pop-up star party!

This location is an alternative site for those East of town in between visits to Columbus or for those of you who would like to try out any new equipment you received, need help with equipment, need a darker spot to observe or just hang out and talk astronomy. Also a great location to work on your Urban Observing AL certificate!

Benefits of this location: Double Bayou Park, Anahuac TX 77514
park 2 copy.jpg

-much darker sky than within Houston city limits.
-on site security 24/7. Law enforcement officer lives on site.
-electricity/running water. (although even with a 100ft extension cord, this would put you on the grass)
-bathroom facility.
-overnight camping allowed with permit.

This is a good time to practice light rules for visits to Columbus, although they won't be stictly enforced.

I plan to stay until the moon begins to rise (about 10:00PM) although you may arrive/leave whenever you'd like.

Anyone is welcome! Feel free to message me with any questions/directions!

-Henry Gonzalez

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/29.8209 ... z?hl=en-US
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
henry-gonzalez

Re: East Houston Urban Observing!

Postby steve-fung » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:38 pm

Henry,

Very cool! I like the part of the "much darker sky than within Houston city limits", "on site security", and "overnight camping allowed with permit". We're on the west side of Houston, but the whole Anahuac area looks like a nice place to explore next time my family is looking for a chance to go camping. Thanks for picking out this place!

Steve
steve-fung

Postby henry-gonzalez » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:57 pm

Sure thing Steve. I too plan to bring out my kiddo to camp once the weather warms up. There's a bayou in which fishing and kayaking is allowed as well. Also nearby is the Anahuac wildlife refuge which could be fun to explore.
henry-gonzalez

Postby henry-gonzalez » Sat Feb 27, 2016 3:46 pm

Yesterday's 1st Official East Houston Urban Observing was a good time. I got to meet Mick Devine (thanks for coming!) and two wild hogs... We spent most of the time trying to figure out my CCD and I ended up with these two images of the Great Orion nebula+running man and the Horsehead nebula. Not too shabby for a first light (and my lack of processing skills). We left around 9:40pm. Hopefully next time more folks will be available to come out! I'll post another observing session when I head back out there very soon.

henry-gonzalez

Postby steve-munsey » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:57 am

Great pics!!!

Mick is great company too.

Glad he has a closer place to him to set up, he made the trip out to West Houston Urban Observing several times before.
Edmund Scientific Super Space Conqueror 6" f8 Newtonian Reflector
Software Bisque Paramount MX
Celestron C-11 Schmidt Cass.
Planetary, Lunar, Solar, Deep Sky
steve-munsey

East Houston Urban Observing! Pop-up star party!

Postby henry-gonzalez » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:00 am

Date: Friday 03/25/2016
Time: 7:30PM

This location is an alternative site for those East of town in between visits to Columbus or for those of you who would like to try out any new equipment you received, need help with equipment, need a darker spot to observe or just hang out and talk astronomy. Also a great location to work on your Urban Observing AL certificate! (so long as the milky way isn't visible that night)

Benefits of this location:
-much darker sky than within Houston city limits.
-on site security 24/7. Law enforcement officer lives on site.
-electricity/running water. (although even with a 100ft extension cord, this would put you on the grass)
-bathroom facility.
-overnight camping allowed with permit.

This is a good time to practice light rules for visits to Columbus, although they won't be stictly enforced.

The moon is supposed to rise around 9:40pm. I plan to stay until about 10:00PM although you may arrive/leave whenever you'd like.

Anyone is welcome! Feel free to message me with any questions/directions!

-Henry Gonzalez

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Doubl ... b20c?hl=en
henry-gonzalez

Return to Space Station V (the Lounge)