Help Nepal Earthquake

A freewheeling astro-salon.

Help Nepal Earthquake

Postby pjoshi » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:53 pm

Hello all, As you are already aware of the seismic activity and it's aftermath in Nepal they are facing many difficulties. To me, albeit, blessed with all comfort here in Houston for past nine years, I have never felt this difficult knowing that the county I was born and raised is in plight. My family back home is however safe with only a minimal damage to our house. But it should not be the reason to overlook and be happy and not act upon to balm those wounded. The whole international community is doing the best they can to provide an immediate rescue but they are sill falling short in terms of funds. The devastation is just too immeasurable. The fact that most of them have lost their child or a parent is making the situation even worse. It's hard to fathom the magnitude of help they desperately need. We as a astronomical enthusiasts often indulge in what happens above us but times like this must urge all of us to look around us and do the best we can. May i please suggest you to take this adversity as an opportunity to do some humanitarian act. I would really appreciate any suggestions and help to raise the fund in most methodized way. Or to simply make the things easier here's also two most reliable link where you can donate...
https://www.crowdrise.com/NepalEarthquakeFund
http://www.globalgiving.org/projects/ne ... lief-fund/

Once again i would like to offer my sincere thanks for all your willingness and generosity.
Purna N Joshi
pjoshi

Re: Help Nepal Earthquake

Postby sfast » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:54 pm

I think this is a great idea. I would encourage all HAS members to consider if they might want to help out, especially since we have a member who is from Nepal and whose family experienced the earthquake. Obviously as a club we can't make a donation, but it is a time when as individuals we can help a people in need.

And if you need an astronomical connection, here is an APOD of Capella rising over Mt. Everest http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap091205.html by Babak Tafreshi.
sfast

Postby steve-fung » Fri May 01, 2015 8:05 pm

Hi Purna,

I'm glad your family is safe with minimal damage to your house. Pics from the news and satellite images show extensive damage and loss of lives. I cannot imagine what the survivors have to go through. I have donated through our hospital's community benefits department to the American Red Cross specific for this tragedy. I hope help and supplies come quickly for those in need.

Regards,
Steve
steve-fung

Postby pjoshi » Sun May 03, 2015 8:16 am

My genuine thanks to Rene and Steve Fast and Steve Fung and HAS on behalf of all those who will benefit from your humble support. I've been doing my best within my realm of possibilities to help ease the lives affected. Our help will at least provide the bolster they urgently need and days following. Thank you again and I am happy to be a part of this noble society we called HAS.
Clear Skies!
pjoshi

Return to Space Station V (the Lounge)