Ham Radio Operators?

A freewheeling astro-salon.

Ham Radio Operators?

Postby richard-hind » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:25 am

Hi all:

Just curious as to if anyone in the society is a ham radio operator like my good self? Over time I have come across quite a few folks involved in radio that have also been into astronomy.

Regards,

Richard (K5RIV)
richard-hind

Re: Ham Radio Operators?

Postby steve-fung » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:57 am

I wish I knew more. My only exposure was as a kid going to a boy scout meeting. This is a shame since my undergrad degree is in EE. I also came across amateur radioastronomy in my browsing of the internet

http://www.radio-astronomy.org

something very fascinating but I already have enough things to do with handling optical telescopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steve-fung

Postby amber-leung » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:42 pm

Richard,

I just haven't gotten around to taking the exam. Life keeping me busy. It's on my list of things, as I have all the necessary equipment.

Best,
Amber

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
amber-leung

Postby richard-hind » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:32 pm

I hear ya Amber, I don't get nearly as much time on the air as i'd like, and now I have this new hobby to keep me busy! Let me know if there's anything I can do to help you with studying for and taking your tests :)

Richard
richard-hind

Postby robert-torrey » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:26 am

I used to be active as WA3TEU on a home-brew. I was biking at Bear Creek Park last Saturday morning and there were about a half dozen QRP rigs working CW on 10, 20, and 40 meters. The conversation, of course, drifted to astronomy and their scope collections. They didn't seem too well versed on carbon composite bicycle frames, however.
Rob Torrey
BYO private observatory at HAS
Takahashi FSQ-106EDX4 on Astro-Physics Mach1 mount
Remote imaging via SGPro
Onsite Calibration and Integration via PixInsight
robert-torrey

Postby clayton-bownds » Fri Feb 13, 2015 11:28 am

I'm not one, but it's on my to-do list this year. There was a amateur radio operator store on the north side, but it appears to have recently closed or moved. I am going to find some study material and work on prepping for the test this year.

/c
clayton-bownds

Postby mark-ferraz » Mon Feb 16, 2015 4:36 pm

I used to be a ham -> KC5 ZOI, but I let it expire in 2009, ugh... now I'm not sure what I need to do to get it back...

-Mark Ferraz

mark-ferraz

Postby michael-lloyd » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Yessir. There are probably photographers (other than astro) here too. I just spent a week in the back country camping and photographing Death Valley.

My call is NE5U. At one time I was active on CW and could hold a QSO at 20WPM mobil. I was texting while driving before the cell phones had text capability :D Today I'd probably fall out of my chair if I tried to do more than about 5WPM. I moved twice, once when my mom got sick and once when she passed away. When I moved the second time I never put an antenna up. The good news is that I plan to be active again this year. I'm going retro. I have a Drake R4B (two actually, just recapped one) and a Drake T-4XB. I love the glow of tubes and the sound that tube gear has. I also rework old tube radios and test equipment for fun. At the moment I'm 0 for about 10 pieces that need work. I'm waiting on parts... seems like I'm always waiting on parts :mrgreen:

When I decided to get my license they had just dropped the Novice license and the code requirement for all three licenses (Technician, General, Extra) to 5WPM. I studied the code until I could handle 7-ish WPM send and receive and then dove into the testing for all three licenses. When I was ready I took all three plus the code test. I passed and came out with my Extra ticket. The guy giving the test said he'd never seen that done in the whole time that he had been a ham. That's more of a testament to how much they had lowered the testing standards than anything. But... the Extra test was not easy by any means. A few months later a Ham up in Wisconsin started teaching me how to increase my code speed. I "graduated" at 28 WPM receive (sitting at a desk not driving). I sure wish I would have kept my "fist" but I didn't so I'll be starting over again.

Here's a link to the ARRL site for the current license classes and privileges: LINK
“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks” - Daniel Boone

NE5U
michael-lloyd

Postby richard-hind » Wed Feb 18, 2015 9:43 am

Great to hear that there is some love for the ham in here! I took my Technician test back in 2010 and they had dropped the CW requirement. I always said I would like to learn CW, but it's another one of those things that just got away from me. I upgraded to General not long after. I have a 2M Kenwood in my car and a TS440-SAT at home. I enjoy DX'ing and very much enjoy working digital modes like PSK31. I do pretty well considering I only have a G5RV strung along the fence (due to HOA restrictions.)

Mark - I am afraid that you will have to re-take the test(s) as they have a 2 year grace period on renewals. Please let me know if there is anything I can do to help :)

Richard
richard-hind

Postby joe-khalaf » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:32 pm

I just recently passed my Technician and General exams, and am studying for the Amateur Extra. I've found that there are lots of amateur astronomers who are hams as well. I guess it's that fascination with the electromagnetic spectrum that ties both hobbies together ;-)

73's and Clear Skies,

Joe Khalaf
K5JFK
H.A.S. President
Meade 12" LX200GPS
Celestron 8" Advanced Series GT
Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60mm
Vixen 16x80 Giant ARK binoculars
Vixen 10x50 Ascot Super Wide binoculars
joe-khalaf

Next