Recording HAS meetings

A freewheeling astro-salon.

Recording HAS meetings

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:01 am

Hello all,

I had mentioned this idea to Rene back in September, but I have not had time to sit and write and email about it.

I had seen on the forms that someone had offered to live stream the meetings but from what I could tell nothing had ever happened with that.

Well I am now throwing my hat into the ring. While I don't have the ability to broadcast live to Google+, I have a digital video camera and the ability to have the video up either later that night or the next day via YouTube.

Im looking for your thoughts, ideas, concerns. Is this a good idea? From the initial feedback I got on Netslyder some think its a good idea. Do you think it will affect attendance? Should we only record parts of the meeting? Or should we only record audio, like a podcast? How should we do it? Like I said I can bring a camera. But it was mentioned on Netslyder that the video, audio and any presentations be recorded separately and combined later into one video.

These are just some questions. Im sure there are more. Please voice your thoughts and ideas here.

Michael Galindo

Re: Recording HAS meetings

Postby rene-gedaly » Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:35 pm

OUR FIRST ATTEMPT
We tried this in 2010 or 2011 and it was well received by the membership. Before going live, it was presented to the board which considered things like permissions, copyright, cost, etc., and all was handled without fanfare. The member who suggested we record meetings had access to fairly sophisticated equipment so HAS did not need to fund the project, instrumental in its approval. She also got support from other members who could fill in when she was out of town for work. Recording stopped when the member's schedule would no longer allow, and then, of course, we no longer had access to the recording equipment and no one left to sponsor the program.
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer, Past Prez
rene-gedaly

Postby rene-gedaly » Sun Nov 10, 2013 10:08 am

Here's the discussion from Netslyder so we can keep track.

from Roger Jones:
For what it is worth: I would watch them.
It is usually impossible for me to make a meeting at that location and
time on weeknights.
I did make it to a meeting once. I think that Friday landed on a
vacation and I was in town.

Thanks,
Rodger

from Kim Wiley:
I would also watch. It's usually very difficult for me to make the meetings because of work schedule.

Thanks,
Kim

from Rene Gedaly:
Rene still thinks it's a good idea :)

Fyi, a few meetings were broadcast in 2011 (yours truly was in one of them). Not sure why the project stalled. Perhaps the forums are the place to hash out the issues, divvy up responsibilities, keep track of progress, etc. Here's a forum topic from February 2013: Live-Stream of Monthly Meetings in Space Station V (the Lounge). The post I remember where someone volunteered to record meetings isn't there though. Michael, do you know where it is?

Anyway, I'd be happy to introduce a fleshed out project to the board as an agenda item. Board meetings are quarterly and face-to-face.

The technology does seem easier and cheaper now. There are other, speaker-related issues--Programs Committee co-chairs Brian Cudnik and Steve Goldberg would be good resources about those--but a handful of people with notebooks or similar devices could easily take turns recording and uploading. Just need someone to take the lead.

Rene

from Garret Laborde:
That would be great. I work offshore rotational so I couldn't take the reins on it, but anyone who is I'd be glad to make them an admin on the Google+ HAS page so they can do the streaming via Hangout.

from Rene Gedaly:
I've become an absolute Luddite about some tech but now you've given me a real reason to join Google+

Welcome back, Garret. And thanks.

from Michael Galindo:
Rene, the forum link you posted is the one I was referencing. Like I said I would not mind using google+ but I have no idea how to use it or live stream on it.

I do think it would be a good idea to have something up for those who miss a meeting or can't attend. Yes I agree it depends on the speaker whether they want to be recorded or not as well. Or if not video perhaps an audio recording. Something.

Michael

from William Spizzirri
I assume you are talking about videoing the two presentations at the meeting and not the business meeting, miscellaneous conversations, etc.

Might this have an affect on attendance of the meetings? Might it REDUCE attendance because members won't have to travel, which takes both time and gas money, won't have to leave work/family/dinner early and get to bed earlier. ... or might putting these videos online show the public non-members and infrequent attendees how great our presentations are and thereby INCREASE attendance? I'm not saying I have the answer, I'm just wondering what you all think about this aspect of it.

from Michael Galindo:
Well it was suggested to maybe only record the Novice meeting. That is a good point. The benefit of going to a meeting still stands though. Being able to interact with other members, meet and shake hands with the speakers, and participate in the voting and appointing of members. You could also argue that a reason to not carry the meetings live is so folks have to go if they want to participate.

from Michael Galindo:
Well, if it needs a leader I suppose I can step up. I agree there are some issues that need to be worked out, and I suppose the only way that can happen is if someone is there to lead the project. I will be honest, I have no experience in leading a project like this, so I might need so help on how some things. But, sure Lol. If it needs a leader. Count me in.

from Rene Gedaly:
Maybe that's a poor choice of words. What we need is a facilitator, someone who will keep track of ideas, get a sense of what's doable, get volunteers to distribute the load, that kind of thing. I'd like to be part of that. We're having some good back and forth on Netslyder, but it doesn't keep track of discussion over time like the forum does. Plus, the board would prefer to use Netslyder for announcements, not discussion.

You could invite all interested in the project to respond to a new forum topic you set up. You can count on me.

Rene

from Michael Galindo:
I got it. Yes that sounds awesome. I will get to work on writing something up.

from Linda Sternbach:
belong to society for geologists that video records meetings and puts the recording on a YouTube channel.

I have helped make the videos. The best way is to get Camtasia software which records the powerpoint slides a laptop and records the audio during the talk. then you merge the powerpoint recording with video of the speaker into one recording and upload to YouTube. If you try and video the screen and the speaker at the same time the video camera doesnt do a good job of focusing on both the speaker and the screen. the slides on the screen behind the speaker are out of focus or over exposed. Our geology society uses a gmail address to start a YouTube account and the upload is free. People can view past meeting videos with the YouTube link.

here is a link to see a video we from a geology meeting where the topic was Mars Exploration
http://youtu.be/cK4NRUu-OBY

from Kim Wiley:
I can attest to Camtasia and the effectiveness of this method. Our firm does a lot of software training and rely pretty heavily on editing sound with screen capture or PowerPoint decks.
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer, Past Prez
rene-gedaly

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Thank You Rene!!! That helps a lot. :D

Postby Garret » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:39 pm

Added 3 more people to the Google+ HAS community.... Just sayin' :mrgreen:
Garret

Return to Space Station V (the Lounge)