West Houston Observing

A freewheeling astro-salon.

Re: West Houston Observing

Postby buster-wilson » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:12 pm

Good idea. I'll be better prepared tomorrow if others can go. *BW*
buster-wilson

Postby steve-munsey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:31 am

Hello all Very sorry about the lack of info with my posts yesterday to the Netslyder and the Forums I am going to work on a boiler plate "cut and past" message that I can just post to all 3 lines of communication with map directions and other info. I totally was not clear and did not post much more info than day and that I would be there and forgot FaceBook!!!!

I got there around 7:35 this gave me plenty of time to set up so 8:00-8:30 is not really a late arrival.

at about 7:45 the mosquitoes were starting to get REALLY bad (and of course I forgot my Repellent). However I noticed what I very soon figured out were bats totally munching down for dinner on these little flying monsters. I thought that was pretty neat. I was just starting to regret setting up and thinking about packing it up when a breeze came up and banished the winged demons ! YAY. Can of repellent was added to Telescope support equipment as soon as I got home! :)
Nate and random person named Mathew showed up and Mathew asked to take a look and was floored. Unfortunately I did not bring any of the fliers with me (now also part of Telescope support equipment). Nate and I told him about HAS and directed him to the website.
The moon at 4 days had some wonderful details in the terminator. Venus was bright as ever. Tried and true Orion did not disappoint and M37 Open Cluster (my new Favorite) was nice.
I tried M81 and M82 but could not really see them. The seeing was not good for Jupiter(at higher powers) I just couldn't get it very focused in my scope anyway it looked mushy at over 100X
Nate just got a new t adapter for his DSLR so I offered for him to do some prime focus with my scope since he is awaiting a loaner scope. He said he would post the pictures if any came out.

Lights went out on the 2 soccer fields and we got an hour in of Darker skies before we decided to pack it up. Approx 11:00. It was also very cold by that time.
Edmund Scientific Super Space Conqueror 6" f8 Newtonian Reflector
Software Bisque Paramount MX
Celestron C-11 Schmidt Cass.
Planetary, Lunar, Solar, Deep Sky
steve-munsey

Postby steve-munsey » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:01 am

Hello all the weather is looking good tonight. I am going to take advantage of it get the scope out to do some Moon Astro-
Photography and some visual.(second try a Jupiter).

Today Tuesday 3-24-2015 If weather holds out I will be at George Bush Park see Pic Below for location. Come join me, dust off your scope see some stuff.
You DO NOT NEED a telescope!!!!! You're more than welcome to look through mine and probably anyone else's who brings one.(Ask First).
If you need help setting one up there is usually someone there who can help and answer most questions you would have.

Usually there by 7:30 and stay until 11:00 or until weather or Dew rolls in.

If anyone wants to write some directions feel free work is crazy today.

steve-munsey

Postby timothy-soto » Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:31 pm

I may be able to meet up with you tonight and bring my Starseeker Mak-Cass. Just depends if I can finish my errands in time after work lol. I also saw your FB post earlier and will let you know via message on there.
timothy-soto

Postby buster-wilson » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:12 pm

Steve M, I'll see you in a short time. Nate, are you in too ? *BW*
buster-wilson

Postby steve-munsey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:36 am

Was a great night at George Bush Park. Seeing was good, humidity was low, mosquitos were non existent(I brought my repellent this time figures!).
Buster W., Tim S.,Jim O. Tomas and Dennis. Had pretty good time. Buster helped Tim get his new Orion Mak set up while Jim, Dennis and I discussed Video Astrophotography and astrophotography in general. I took about 25 exposures with my piggy back set up of M42(orion Nebula and M51 Whirlpool Galaxy(NONE of which were in focus by the way, Jim. :(
Jupiter, M37, M42(Orion), Moon, and a kinda farewell look at M45 (Pleiades) which in a couple of months will be to low on the horizon to get a good view.. Tomas was getting info on the dark site and considering what scope to get so we talked a bit about that. Packed up about 11:00 Tomas assisted with the tear down of my scope Thank You Sir.!!

If you made it this far Bram W. had suggested a different location at George Bush Park where the pesky lights from the to soccer fields wouldn't be such a problem.
Further West are some soccer fields that look promising. This Thursday or this weekend I am going to "Scope" it out but I think it will be a better alternative to the Scobee Rd.Location just a little more difficult to find. Check back here I will post as this changes.

Looks like clouds/rain are gonna move in, keep checking here when it gets better. It was a great 2 nights.
steve-munsey

Postby steve-munsey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 2:59 pm

New Site for West Houston/George Bush Park Meet Up.

Here are some Google satellite views of current and proposed darker meet up site.
Your input would be welcome. What do ya'll think?
*Aecondary should be Secondary

Close up....

steve-munsey

Postby buster-wilson » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:56 pm

Thanks Steve M for the maps. I drove to both locations last night after I left the Scobee Dr location we have been using to have a look-see. Only 1 1/2 miles west. The largest site NORTH of the Parkway is ok, sort of. Plenty of room, paved roads, and restrooms BUT plenty of lights. Almost directly on the SOUTH side of the Parkway is a large ball field, nice parking lot and NO lights were on if they were any. Some sort of small building was a little farther out but I didn't go there yet. Headlights from the road are hardly any problem since the traffic runs parallel to this site. YES it is darker there. Much improved south and west sky, distant trees help block other area lights. Truly red astro lights are needed to use your equipment and is good training before going to the HAS Site. Thanks to Bram W for the mention of this place. Wish someone else would go to check it out too. I would be willing to go there the next clear night to try out. Any helpers ? *BW*
buster-wilson

Postby steve-munsey » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:58 pm

Hello all the weather is looking good tonight. I am going to take advantage of it get the scope out to do some Astro-
Photography
Today 04-25-15 If weather holds out I will be at George Bush Park see Pic Below for location. Come join me, dust off your scope see some stuff.
You DO NOT NEED a telescope!!!!! You're more than welcome to look through mine and probably anyone else's who brings one.(Ask First).
If you need help setting one up there is usually someone there who can help and answer most questions you would have.
MOSQUITO SPRAY IS PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA!
I'll be there by 6:30 and stay until 10:00 or until weather or Dew rolls in.
Also Buster if your up to it we need to take a look at the alternate site.

steve-munsey

Postby steve-munsey » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:22 am

Hello all,
Last night at George Bush Park was very interesting Jim, Anne, Buster, and showed up. We got to play with Jim's new Mallincam which was very interesting. Although I'm not giving up on visual it certainly was pretty neat. The Moon and Jupiter were were very nice. We got to see IO occulted by Jupiter. M44 didn't quite work out in my F10 even with the reducer I couldn't get it completely in frame. On Busters Recommendation Anne and I checked out an alternate dark-er site. I think we should at least give it a try next opportunity. Although most of the lights were off at the usual fields.Pics below of the Mallincam in action. Thank You Anne and Jim for coming out.
Buster I'll post the updated map next time I can be out there weather and schedule permitting.
steve-munsey

PreviousNext

Return to Space Station V (the Lounge)