West Houston Observing

A freewheeling astro-salon.

Re: West Houston Observing

Postby steve-fung » Sun Apr 26, 2015 12:08 pm

Hi Steve,

Last night was astronomy night with the kids. I gave them the option of West Houston vs George Observatory. Personally, I was favoring West Houston to try out my new 100mm spotting scope, but George Observatory won out - more kids stuff to do. Still, was too cloudy to see much. Hopefully, I get to West Houston sometime once the weather clears up.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
steve-fung

Postby steve-munsey » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:53 am

Hello all the weather is looking good tonight. I am going to take advantage of it get the scope out practice set up check out Jupiter, Venus, Moon.Maybe a farewell look at M42 in Orion.
Today 04-29-15 If weather holds out I will be at George Bush Park see Pic Below for location.(WE ARE TRYING OUT A NEW LOCATION WITH LESS LIGHT INTERFERENCE)Freedom Park located in George Bush Park just West of previous location. see pics.

Come join me, dust off your scope see some stuff.
You DO NOT NEED a telescope!!!!! You're more than welcome to look through mine and probably anyone else's who brings one.(Ask First).
If you need help setting one up there is usually someone there who can help and answer most questions you would have.
MOSQUITO SPRAY IS PROBABLY A GOOD IDEA!
Jacket too it's probably going to get cold.
I'll be there by 7:30 and stay until ???? or until weather or Dew rolls in.
Edmund Scientific Super Space Conqueror 6" f8 Newtonian Reflector
Software Bisque Paramount MX
Celestron C-11 Schmidt Cass.
Planetary, Lunar, Solar, Deep Sky
steve-munsey

Postby richard-hind » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:22 am

How was last night at GBP? Looking forward to getting out there soon!

Richard Hind
richard-hind

Postby steve-munsey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:31 pm

Last night was pretty fun. Despite a small hitch :) with the location which may change again, we set up at the usual spot on Dick Scobee Dr.
Around 9 People showed (Some a little late we usually start packing around 10:30-11:30) 6 telescopes 12.5 inch DOB, 10 inch DOB, (2)8" Schmitts , 8 in.DOB and
a 6" Reflractor!

Thanks to Travis, David, Melanie, Dennis, Theresa, Buster, Mathew, and a few more I did not get your names sorry or if I got your names wrong sorry. May start a sign in sheet.

We "of course" got to see Moon, Jupiter, Venus M44, M3, M101, M81,M82 and Saturn who's rings are at full tilt this year!!! And Thanks to Buster, Melanie, and Travis a First for me an Iridium Flare. I also learned what that was (not what I thought) LOL

I may go out tonight but I am Pretty Beat, I can be persuaded though if I get enough feedback and we will be trying another Darker site and I have a feeling this one is going to work. There are NO lights, however this will probably mean we are going to be a little more strict with light rules and safety is a concern I do not want any less than 2-3 people there its a little off the beaten path and there aren't any restrooms withing walking distance.
steve-munsey

Postby dennis-grigassy, sr » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:22 pm

I'm the new guy and I had a good time last nite
Dennis Grigassy Sr.
dennis-grigassy, sr

West Houston Observing THURSDAY 04-30-2015

Postby steve-munsey » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:51 pm

PLEASE BEAR WITH ME WHILE WE MOVE :)

NEW SITE RE-DO
I'M TRYING ANOTHER NEW SITE*** SEE PIC*** - I'LL BE THERE AT 7:30 7:45 IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT ALSO MEET ME I WILL BRING MY SCOPE IF PEOPLE SHOW I WILL STAY IF NO ONE SHOWS BY 9:00 I'LL START PACKING UP.
SEE PIC FOR NEW LOCATION IF NO IS THERE CHECK OLD LOCATION THAT'S THE BACK UP PLAN.
Hello all the weather is looking good tonight. I am going to take advantage of it get the scope out practice set up. check out Jupiter, Venus Maybe Saturn if I stay that long.
Today 04-30-15 If weather holds out I will be at George Bush Park see Pic Below for location.(WE ARE TRYING OUT A NEW LOCATION WITH LESS LIGHT INTERFERENCE)

You DO NOT NEED a telescope!!!!! You're more than welcome to look through mine and probably anyone else's who brings one.(Ask First).
If you need help setting one up there is usually someone there who can help and answer most questions you would have.

steve-munsey

Postby richard-hind » Fri May 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Had a great time at the new location in GBP last night. Saw Hubble fly over and had great views of Jupiter, Saturn, M83, Venus and more. Was great to meet Steve, Mark and Buster. Looking forward to getting out there again :)

Richard Hind
richard-hind

West Houston Observing Friday 05-01-2015

Postby steve-munsey » Fri May 01, 2015 12:52 pm

Thanks Richard it was nice to meet you!!
Yes, as Richard said we met at the new site last night. I really like it despite some drawbacks. I think its here to stay.
I liked so much I am going back tonight!!!

THERE IS A HAS MEETING TONIGHT IF YOU CAN'T MAKE IT JOIN ME AND MARK FERRAZ AT GEORGE BUSH PARK....
He Might even bring out the 18" Obsession!!
SEE PICS ON LOCATION AND WHERE TO PARK
Were still kinda getting situated so parking may be a little funky.
Also a good practice run for TSP

Friday 05-01-15
NEW SITE
I'LL BE THERE AT 7:30 7:45 IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE IT ALSO COME ON OUT!!
SEE PIC FOR NEW LOCATION-IF NO IS THERE CHECK OLD LOCATION THAT'S THE BACK UP PLAN.

steve-munsey

Postby steve-munsey » Sat May 02, 2015 4:47 pm

Well Thursday Mark, Richard, Buster and I got to see Hubble and a rocket body pass overhead Richard brought his new Orion reflector, Mark brought a 10" dob I brought a 6" reflector and my 8" Schmidt. Mark and Richard had a little fun with Richards reflector(See Pics) We stayed until Saturn was just high enough to see over the trees.
FRIDAY night we were just a little bothered by some broken cloud cover.
Mark brought out the 18" Obsession to practice set up for TSP. Tim brought out his orion Mak Cass.
We met Constable Aslam and he assured us that he would keep an eye out for HAS Members if they were back there. He also said he informed the other officers we might be there late and did not seem to have a problem with us staying all night if we wanted *(still be careful though it is kinda remote and please if go don't go alone).
There were about 4 people who stopped to take a look through the scopes and 2 that may join HAS (Mark was ready with a pamplet. YAAAY! so the new site has more passer by traffic.
We got to see Moon, Jupiter, M13, tried for the Owl but the Moon was pretty brutal. I'm working on picking (in addition to the last minuet trips a regular Thursday or Friday meeting day once a month that we can meet there for sure unless it's rained out.
I can't wait for the next few weeks Saturn will rise earlier and the moon will be less of a problem I'm thinking its gonna be nice.
Hope to see some more of ya'll there.
steve-munsey

Postby stephen-jones » Sun May 03, 2015 1:02 pm

i bet that eyepiece weighs more than that scope :D
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones