Astrophotography and Viewing Telescope Recommendations

Gear recommendations, reviews and rants.

Astrophotography and Viewing Telescope Recommendations

Postby lawrence-johnson » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:48 am

Hello all.
I am new to the group and a newbie amateur astronomer. I currently have a 6" Newtonian mounted on a non tracking mount. Basically just enough to get me into the hobby of astronomy. My astrophotography experience is limited to pointing my cell phone camera at the lense of the telescope and taking pictures. :roll:

So, I am ready to take the plunge. After some research online and talking with a sales guy at Land Sea and Sky, I plan on buying the Celestron CGX mount at years end. Any recommendations on a decent scope that would be good for viewing AND imaging? I know focal length is an issue for imaging, and a larger aperture would be better. As far as a camera is concerned, I have a respectable Canon 6d that hasn't been astromodified and I don't plan on doing that to my daily use camera. I will move to a CCD at some point in the future.

I attended the novice meeting at the beginning of July and found the astro-imaging lecture helpful. I knew some of what was discussed from prior reading and YouTubing. :lol:
However, just one hour trying to get out a good amount of information on astrophotography wasn't nearly enough time.

I am somewhat on a limited budget... I'd say $6k to $8k total, camera not included at this time. The CGX mount will take about $2200 of that. So, bottom line, looking for recommendations on a scope that would work as a decent viewing AND imaging tool in the $4k to $6k range. Thanks in advance.
lawrence-johnson

Re: Astrophotography and Viewing Telescope Recommendations

Postby todd-murray » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:53 pm

edit: never mind, I'll let more experienced members chime in
todd-murray

Re: Astrophotography and Viewing Telescope Recommendations

Postby todd-murray » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:37 am

Here's something that might interest you:

FSQ-85ED $2700
https://houston.craigslist.org/for/6230789671.html

That would probably be a no compromise super awesome astrophotography scope, and buying used means you can probably sell it for about that much should you decide all this isn't for you.
todd-murray

Return to Gear and Equipment