Obsession ServoCAT/Argo Navis Questions

Gear recommendations, reviews and rants.

Obsession ServoCAT/Argo Navis Questions

Postby marty-eckert » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:32 pm

Friends, I just became the second owner of a 2003 Obsession 20" f/5. It is beautiful and equipped with ServoCAT Gen 1 (SC) and Argo Navis Model 102 (AN). Unfortunately, the prior owner was not much help as to the cable configuration, operations, etc. I am not sure that I have the correct cables either. I have tried to figure this out with online resources but have not been successful. Anyone that could help me out with a response or a phone call would be greatly appreciated!

So, the SC system works perfectly controlling the scope smoothly in ALT and AZ. My problem is that I cannot get the AN to communicate to the SC. The wiring between the AN unit and the SC unit may be where I am confused. Is the wire between AN Serial 1 port and the SC DSC port a standard 4 pin RJ11 or is the wiring special? I don't seem to have the wire described in the SC documentation. Also, is that the only connection between the AN and SC. Do I also need cables from the encoders directly to the AN unit or is it looking to the SC for encoder information? I want to make sure I have the connections correct before I focus on software setup. I think that have completed the MODE SETUP parameters correctly on the AN, but what I am sure of is that it is not working!

If there are any owners of similar equipment out there, I would appreciate some clues!

Confused....but happy with a great new scope!
Marty
marty-eckert

Re: Obsession ServoCAT/Argo Navis Questions

Postby steve-munsey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:01 pm

I beleive Buster W. And Mark F. are familiar with that equipment and may be able to help you out.
If you can wait and bring it out to George Bush Park one night they might be able to give you some info or direction.
Unfortunately (for you) they are on their way to OkieTex.
Edmund Scientific Super Space Conqueror 6" f8 Newtonian Reflector
Software Bisque Paramount MX
Celestron C-11 Schmidt Cass.
Planetary, Lunar, Solar, Deep Sky
steve-munsey

Postby marty-eckert » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks Steve. I will follow up with them soon.
marty-eckert

Postby steve-munsey » Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:46 am

Did you get this resolved?
Edmund Scientific Super Space Conqueror 6" f8 Newtonian Reflector
Software Bisque Paramount MX
Celestron C-11 Schmidt Cass.
Planetary, Lunar, Solar, Deep Sky
steve-munsey

Return to Gear and Equipment