Why Switch to Windows 10

Why Switch to Windows 10

Postby kdrake » Thu Dec 24, 2015 7:07 am

I know this is an astro forum, but hey, this is related to the needs of our astro groups here. This thread was sorta bounced around on the Netslyder email list but was cut short. Some folks there were highly in favor of upgrading to 10 and they had great success in doing so. Many have not had such great luck, at least in the general communities at other forums. My question is this, what makes W10 so great? I went and specifically hunted down a new desktop that had W7 64 Pro on it because it was considered very stable - I had to replace a ten year old XP machine that was dying slowly with vid card and HDD issues. Considering that W7 will be issued security updates until January 2020, I'll wait at least 5 years, and even then might not feel the need to upgrade. I used XP way beyond its lifetime and would have continued to except for the hardware failings. My new putr is compatible with 10 but I've seen several 5 years old machines that are not on any list of being compatible with 10 and in fact have many problems including lock up when upgraded. So my question stands, why is 10 so good?

Kenneth (drako) Drake
kdrake

Re: Why Switch to Windows 10

Postby michael-lloyd » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:59 am

According to our IT department there can be issues with printer drivers with W10 and they suspect others. Especially older drivers... like really old... you know... 2 years or more :D

I know of one instance where a monitor driver on a new, purchased 12/15, laptop had monitor driver issues and it has the Oh-fish-ul W10 ready Microsoft sticker on it.

I just switched from XP to W7 at work. Because I had to.

PS- I typed this on a Mac
“I have never been lost, but I will admit to being confused for several weeks” - Daniel Boone

NE5U
michael-lloyd

Postby richard-locke » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:16 pm

I switched to Windows 10 due to the memory restrictions I had on Win 7, which was limited to 16GB on the version I had (premium maybe?).

Before doing that, I tried to find a reasonable way to upgrade to the pro version of win 7 that would allow me to access the 24GB I had installed... The options I found were too expensive.

I've had several problems that make me regret going to Win 10 on my main PC... But I do use the extra memory and benefit from it with my image processing work.

-Dick Locke
richard-locke

Postby donald-selle » Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:14 pm

I was one of the original netslyder posters dissing W10. It flattened my astro laptop when it tried to upgrade from W7 pro 64 bit. After a bit of work, I think the W10 install knocked out the video driver. I have since reinstalled W7 from a flat hd along with all of my astro apps. I am now searching to find out how to turn off the W1o free upgrade that keeps getting pushed at this laptop. I do not want to rebuild it from scratch.

Having said all that, I had previously upgraded my main desktop without issue and other than some new bells and whistles, I see no major advantage to the upgrade. Works well on that machine. But I do not think the new features of W10 worth the risk of having to rebuild my laptop.

Your mileage may vary.

Don Selle
donald-selle

Postby kdrake » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:35 pm

Don,
This might help you rid the Win7 laptop of pesky W10 upgrade blubs. It gets good reviews and others I know have had some great success with it.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/1 ... es-in.html
kdrake

Postby kdrake » Thu Dec 24, 2015 10:39 pm

richard-locke wrote:I switched to Windows 10 due to the memory restrictions I had on Win 7, which was limited to 16GB on the version I had (premium maybe?).

Before doing that, I tried to find a reasonable way to upgrade to the pro version of win 7 that would allow me to access the 24GB I had installed... The options I found were too expensive.

I've had several problems that make me regret going to Win 10 on my main PC... But I do use the extra memory and benefit from it with my image processing work.

-Dick Locke

I've heard some that use W7 32 have found that using a RAM drive with the extra memory solves the 16 gig limitation. I used a RAM drive 20 years ago in a Win 95/DOS6 environment. I'm using W7 64 pro now
kdrake

Postby chris-ober » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:32 pm

W7 32bit has a limit of 4GB. ANY 32bit OS has the same limit. 64 Bit Win 7 physical memory limits depends on the version Windows 7 you're running. Home Basic is 8GB; Home Premium is 16GB; Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate are 192GB. W7 Home Premium can easily be upgraded to Professional.

kdrake wrote:
richard-locke wrote:I switched to Windows 10 due to the memory restrictions I had on Win 7, which was limited to 16GB on the version I had (premium maybe?).

-Dick Locke

I've heard some that use W7 32 have found that using a RAM drive with the extra memory solves the 16 gig limitation. I used a RAM drive 20 years ago in a Win 95/DOS6 environment. I'm using W7 64 pro now
0 .· ` ' / ·. 100
I have a high sarcasm rate. Deal with it.
include('sarcasm.php')
chris-ober

Return to Astronomy Software