BackyardEOS

BackyardEOS

Postby edward-fraini » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:15 pm

We tried this software out at TSP. A bumpy start, lost the first night due to not understanding some of the set up. Had no stars in live view. This took setting the ISO up to 12,400 and the shutter in manual at 2" to resolve. Then we could use the focus routine, drift alignment, (this works great) and the frame to set up some image runs. In the end the data was not so good due to what I believe must be mirror flap. We never could figure out how to control it in BYE. So if some one else is familiar with this software some help would be appreciated. If you are a BYE user please let me know, I would love to get connected with a group locally that I could learn from.

Ed
edward-fraini

Re: BackyardEOS

Postby clayton-bownds » Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:40 pm

BackYardEOS is absolutely great for the money.

First off, their support forums are located here: http://forum.otelescope.com/
Secondly, you can open (and save) a copy of the users manual by clicking the question mark icon in the upper right corner of the open software (4th from the right).

I am new to AP, but I found this software to be quite intuitive. I wasn't so concerned about the extra features (like PHD guiding and focus control), but setting up imaging queues was a breeze. I'm definitely no expert, but I'd be happy to help however I can.

Cheers,
Clayton
clayton-bownds

Re: BackyardEOS

Postby chris-ober » Wed Jun 04, 2014 9:31 am

That's pretty much what I had to do last week as well but I found focusing on a brighter star that would show up in the frame/focus first and then slewing to the target worked better for me. After this, I would still do a quick exposure in Imaging mode at a lower ISO, zoom in and check the focus again.

IF you right click on a star after an exposure in the frame and focus mode, it will open a little zoomed in window that makes it easier to evaluate the focus.
0 .· ` ' / ·. 100
I have a high sarcasm rate. Deal with it.
include('sarcasm.php')
chris-ober

Return to Astronomy Software