HAS Texas 45 observing program

Re: HAS Texas 45 observing program

Postby rene-gedaly » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:40 am

Last week there was a report of four folks out at the site, all working on the Texas 45. Way to go!
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Postby joshua-babin » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:13 pm

Since I never seem to be able to get to the dark site (as a requirement of the Texas 45), it looks like this Saturday will be a double-whammy for me! Try to get as many Messier objects as I can, while simultaneously working on the 45. Will need to sit down tonight and get this observing plan set up!
Clear Skies!
-Josh

Orion xt8
joshua-babin

Postby rene-gedaly » Mon Mar 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Whoo-hoo! :D

It was pointed out to me by Clayton Jeter that with a little luck, the Texas 45 could be completed in just four trips to the dark site. Guess you have to carefully plan which four nights they'd be weather-wise, but it should be doable.
rene-gedaly

Postby rene-gedaly » Sun Jun 09, 2013 5:11 pm

One terrific resource for working through the Texas 45, or any observing program, is the book Turn Left at Orion, 4th ed. by Guy Consalmagno and Dan Davis.

I like it because it gives drawings of what objects look like in the eyepiece. The drawings also show the proper orientation of the object depending on the type of telescope you're using, or binoculars or finder scope. And 39 of 60 objects in the Texas 45 are illustrated along with navigation directions to take you there.

If you want to see what I mean, look at the June GuideStar article entitled The Texas 45 Quick Start Guide: Turn Left at Orion, 4th edition. If you like what you see, Amazon seems to have the best price: http://www.amazon.com/Turn-Left-Orion-H ... t+at+Orion.
rene-gedaly

Previous

Return to Texas 45