HAS AstroLeague Program: July 21st in Columbus

HAS AstroLeague Program: July 21st in Columbus

Postby rene-gedaly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:25 pm

It's the dog days of summer 8-) , but I plan to be in Columbus working on some AstroLeague programs nevertheless. Come join me!

New moon is July 19th. I'll be in Columbus Saturday, July 21st, but it still looks pretty good moon-wise. Moonrise is 9:00 AM and moonset is 9:52 PM Jul 21, 2012.

I plan to work on the AL Binocular Double Stars and Deep Sky Binocular lists but it could be a good time to start the Lunar program, too. I believe we'll be within 72 hours of new moon and can see the Old Moon in New Moon's Arms, or is it the New Moon in the Old Moon's Arms?

Anyway, the point of this program is for new observers to get out to the HAS Columbus site and observe in the company and support of other new observers. The Astronomical League observing programs are a great way to provide structure to an observing session. Why not choose one yourself and get started. Not sure which one? Take a look here: http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/LevelObservingClubs.html

Hope to see you there! :D

The HAS AstroLeague Program is geared to new observers, especially those who want to learn the sky by star hopping. Experienced observers are encouraged to join in and lend a hand.
Rene Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Re: HAS AstroLeague Program: July 21st in Columbus

Postby edward-fraini » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:40 pm

The 19th is not on the weekend but if I am in town it is a possibility. I will keep you posted

Ed Fra.
edward-fraini

Postby edward-fraini » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:42 pm

Or did you mean Sat following the new moon, definitely plan on being there then.

Ed Fra.
edward-fraini

Postby rene-gedaly » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:49 pm

Oops. I better fix that. Thanks, Ed.
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Postby rene-gedaly » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:49 pm

First posted via the HAS email list on Netslyder:

First, thanks for the weather forecast, everybody. Such a helpful bunch we are. Special thanks, too, to the observatory committee for getting the grounds in shape.

Novice Observers

Just fyi, my SkyScout test was a washout last night due to clouds but hopefully it'll be a good test tonight in Columbus. Barring any road incidents, I should arrive at the dark site around 6:30 pm. Gets dark enough around 9-9:30 pm. Thought I'd be starting some new lists, but I double checked my binocular messier list and came up short. Some NGC items I thought were also Messier items weren't, but hopefully they're good for a different binocular list. Yeah, it's all about the pins for me now.

I'm also going to test out a coffee carafe so come by with your mug and we'll see how long the coffee stays hot. I'll bring sugar cubes and yellow packets. Think I have some mocha creamer, too.

-Rene
rene-gedaly

Return to Observatory