Columbus Site

Columbus Site

Postby sflindt » Mon May 28, 2012 6:17 pm

Greetings! I am a fairly new member (November of 2011) and had the rather creepy experience of finding myself totally alone at the Columbus site. It was right before new moon and would have been a perfect night if I had had the nerve to put my eye down to the eyepiece. Is there a way to post your intentions of being at the observing site so that others (who may also be somewhat intimated by the wild hogs) would know if the site was going to be used? Thank so much! Sandy Flindt ([email protected])
sflindt

Re: Columbus Site

Postby jeffery-mac » Wed May 30, 2012 11:45 pm

Sandy, I've been out there solo a couple of times and I found it pretty easy to get myself totally freaked out. The howling dogs at the neighbor's place didn't help much, haha.

I think the best thing to do would be to post to the list-serve whenever you plan to make the trek. Details here (if you haven't already joined): http://www.astronomyhouston.org/about/email-list
jeffery-mac
Uber-Geek

Postby rene-gedaly » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 am

I plan to be there during some new moons myself and will definitely post to the Forums. In fact if you post first, it'd definitely encourage me to join with!
Rene Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Postby valerio-giuliani » Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:54 pm

Is anybody going to the dark site this coming weekend?
valerio-giuliani

Postby rgedaly » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:43 pm

I will be th ere and will post when I arrive, Fri or Sat. In FL now. How's the weather shaping up?
rgedaly

Postby valerio-giuliani » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Hi Rene,

Thanks for replying. The weather has been really bed and I hope it gets better for the weekend. We have thunderstorms pretty much everyday.
I am planning to go to the site either Friday or Saturday based on weather and presence of people over there. It' is my first time there and I would like to avoid being alone. I plan to do some astrophotography.

Let me know if you choose a specific day, I will try to match it.

Anyone else interested???

Cheers
Valerio
valerio-giuliani

Postby rene-gedaly » Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:21 pm

I am bringing my "new" Celestron SkyScout Personal Planetarium to Columbus Saturday. The SkyScout is one of those point-it-at-the-sky-and-tell-me-what-I'm-looking-at gadgets. Hope it works better than what I have on my smartphone for locating Messier objects and double-stars and such. If not, back it goes to Amazon. It's on clearance but it is really old technology. Still, if it works, it could sure help locating objects during partly cloudy nights.

Is anyone making it there Friday?
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Postby valerio-giuliani » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:25 pm

I am probably going there tonight (Friday20th). It is supposed to be better than saturday in terms of seeing and transparency..........

Anybody else going?
valerio-giuliani

Postby rene-gedaly » Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:04 pm

Sandy, it was great seeing you and your son last Wednesday at Columbus. Pretty cool being out there mid-week. Hope your session went well, and really glad we exchanged contact info. I'll still post on the forums when I plan to go out. I prefer that to netslyder because netslyder goes out to the world. The key to getting notified is subscribing to the forums and/or topics you're interested in. When you subscribe, you get an email that someone has posted. I'm a forum moderator so I subscribe to all the forums and topics, but you could subscribe to the Columbus Site topic in the Observatory forum or to the Observatory forum itself which will get you notified about all topics in that forum.

Subscribing is a little tricky. The Subscribe button appears at the end of each topic or forum page. It looks like it's checked already, but it isn't. Click the phrase Subscribe topic following the check mark, and you'll be subscribed to the individual topic or forum. Then the bottom of the page will update to read Unsubscribe topic. Clear as mud? :)

-Rene
rene-gedaly

Return to Observatory