The Next Observatory Training Class?

The Next Observatory Training Class?

Postby Garret » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:22 pm

I would really like for myself and my Wife to get trained on using the scopes in the observatory. I'm REALLY interested in using them for astrophotography.

Any news on the next scheduled training session or is it done by request only?
Garret

Re: The Next Observatory Training Class?

Postby john-haynes » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

I don't spend a lot of time on this board, but I get the netslyder all the time. I'm the one who teaches the observatory class.

I actually have a class this weekend, but its already a bit on the full side. I could schedule another for next month, which would be the 23rd.

We do the class on the Saturday closest to the full moon. The full moon actually makes it easier so you're not completely in the dark. It's also when we're least likely to bother anyone else using the observatory.

For anyone interested, please contact me at [email protected] or [email protected] if you're interested in taking the class. To qualify, you must be a member in good standing for at least 6 months and have a working understanding of equatorial mounted telescopes (we have 2 forks and 1 GEM). There is a $25 one-time key and paperwork fee for the class, due at the end of the class.

The class usually begins at approximately 2pm. The first portion covers the observatory procedures: filling out logs, knowing where to find things, inspecting the building and equipment, opening the roof, preparing and using the telescopes. This tends to take 2-3 hrs. There is a break for dinner (about an hour, give or take), and then we go into the practical portion in which students demonstrate that they understand what they learned (done after dark). Upon completion, students pay their fees and are issued an observatory key.

We try to keep classes limited to 3 people, but are willing to do 4 or 5 if demand is high enough.

The class will happen even if we are clouded out, but rain (more than a sprinkle) may require rescheduling (we don't open the roof in the rain, and need to open it to teach roof opening/closing and emergency procedures.

Again, contact me by e-mail to schedule a class.

My gear:
Meade 2080 8" SCT OTA
Brandon Vernonscope 82mm f/3.7 refractor
Meade DS-2000 90mm f/11 refractor
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
SBIG STF-8300C
Canon 350D (Astro-modded)
john-haynes

Re: The Next Observatory Training Class?

Postby Garret » Fri Jan 25, 2013 7:54 am

Great! I'll have to shoot you an email about getting myself and my wife signed up when I come back on shore.
Garret

Return to Observatory