Need help with using 8in dob for photography

Imaging and processing techniques, tips and tricks.

Need help with using 8in dob for photography

Postby peggie-mueller » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:48 pm

Hi,

I'm new to astrophotography, but am determined to figure out how to take reasonable photos.

Recently, I've tried unsuccessfully to photograph Saturn using a Canon EOS 6D Mark II with my 8" Apertura dob. My setup was as follows: T-ring > 1.25" T-adapter > 1.25" TeleVue 2X Barlow > focuser.
While at the dark site Sunday night (8/1), I could not get a focused image of Saturn on the camera's LCD monitor. On Saturday night (in my front yard), I had a much better focused image, but the resulting photo I took was blurred probably because I manually pressed the shutter release.

I'm heading to Terlingua on Sunday so would appreciate any thoughts you might have as to what I'm doing wrong. (I have a remote shutter release and will use it from now on.)

Thanks,
Peggie Mueller
peggie-mueller

Re: Need help with using 8in dob for photography

Postby bryce-reed » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:26 pm

Hi! I just started planetary photography this year, first with an 8" DOB and I've switched to an 8" Meade ACF.

The issue I had with my dob (Orion XT8) and camera (Sony a6300, mirrorless) was that the focus plane was too close to the scope - that is, I could not shift the camera close enough to bring it into focus. I'm not sure if you're having the same issue, but I "fixed it" temporarily by pulling out the 1.25" adapter from the 2" focuser on my scope (you may not have this) so I could hold the camera close enough to be in focus :lol:

Later I managed to find a shorter T-ring adapter that closed the distance sufficiently to hook everything together properly (and safely). If you have a 2" focuser with a 1.25" adapter I might try my method to see if that fixes your issue.

I'm not sure if you've heard of lucky imaging for planetary photography, but that's the next step to capturing planetary images. You take videos, align their frames, discard the rough ones, and stack to increase the signal to noise ratio. If you have time to practice this before you get to Terlingua, you should get great results!

If you're interested, a guide I found very helpful when starting is here: https://www.astropix.com/books/gdpi/gdpi_index.html

Here's my image of Saturn (that I got very lucky with good conditions) when I was holding my camera in place in my DOB, using lucky imaging:

Clear skies!
bryce-reed

Re: Need help with using 8in dob for photography

Postby peggie-mueller » Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:51 am

Thank you, Bryce! That helps a lot. I'll try the camera at different focal lengths. I bought the 2x Barlow thinking that my camera was too close to the mirror, but maybe I'm too far away now. And I'll take a look at the guide.
peggie-mueller

Return to Astrophotography