Possible Nova in Delphinus

Re: Possible Nova in Delphinus

Postby john-haynes » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:13 am

I don't know if I'd call it fuel efficient, Bill. I'm pretty sure its using a LOT of fuel ;-)

My gear:
Meade 2080 8" SCT OTA
Brandon Vernonscope 82mm f/3.7 refractor
Meade DS-2000 90mm f/11 refractor
iOptron iEQ45 Mount
SBIG STF-8300C
Canon 350D (Astro-modded)
john-haynes

Postby william-kowalczyk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:21 am

Michael,

Are you planning to observe this nova again tonight? Looks like the light curve is very linear so far. I bet it will be even better if the weather holds.
Bill Kowalczyk
william-kowalczyk

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:24 am

Bill,

If the weather holds out I will be back out there observing. I just checked and as of 8am its now up to mag 4.5. Im planning on going out at 830pm and again at midnight. I will post pictures of course when I get some. :D

Postby rene-gedaly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:40 am

Whet do you go to observe? Can't be Columbus yet?
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:13 pm

rene-gedaly wrote:Whet do you go to observe? Can't be Columbus yet?

Rene right now its my backyard lol. The neighbors around us all turn off their backyard lights at night, so when I go out there I turn off ours. Its still not a true dark site of course with a major freeway and an airport within walking distance. But at least my spot is dark. I think our house is the only one that normally keeps the back light on Lol. I have a nice clear area over our roof looking east all the way upto the Zenith. The sky to the west is obscured by trees.

Postby william-kowalczyk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:44 pm

Wow,

The light curve on this one appears to have peaked at just fainter than mag 4. There are several new observations that just came into AAVSO showing that the curve is flattening or maybe even decreasing.
Bill Kowalczyk
william-kowalczyk

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 16, 2013 4:53 pm

Well then it looks like tonight is the best night to see it. Hopefully these clouds and thunderstorms clear out in time. Not sure on the timing, but sometime over night the clouds will move off.

Postby william-kowalczyk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:49 pm

Yep. I will drag out the beast if conditions permit.
Bill Kowalczyk
william-kowalczyk

Postby william-kowalczyk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:26 pm

Your forecast was solid! I might have to talk to Steve Fast to see if we can have a competition for HAS Chief meteorologist!

I pulled out the Meade, turned on the hair dryer for a bit, and then took a look. Pretty darn bright!

This is why I needed the hair dryer!

Last edited by william-kowalczyk on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Kowalczyk
william-kowalczyk

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:39 pm

Awesome! I love it when a forecast works out. I still have another 30min or so to wait. Currently on the South Side the clouds are still obstructing Delphinus. Looks like 10pm is my target time. I cant wait to see it tonight.

UPDATE 1: Just got back in. I think I got some great shots with my 300mm lens! Time for the analysis. Bill, that humidity is killer!

UPDATE 2: Well it looks like I was able to capture the nova again tonight. Not all my pics came out as I wanted but thats how it goes. Using that 300mm lens was difficult without some sort of tracking. Anyway, Below are the 3 images I felt came out the best. If you would like me to post the original sized one just let me know. I would be more than happy to do that. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PreviousNext

Return to Latest Space News