Possible Nova in Delphinus

Possible Nova in Delphinus

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:24 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Possible Nova in Delphinus

Postby rene-gedaly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:18 pm

I've been pretty matter-of-fact about the weather, just trying to get out whenever it's good. But this has me upset. Delphinus is a beautiful little gem of a constellation--I included it in the Texas 45--and now it's got a nova, maybe naked eye in Columbus?! Thanks for the heads up. Here's a star chart from Sky&Tel: http://media.skyandtelescope.com/documents/Nova_in_Delphinus_PSA64.pdf

Rene
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Thanks for the chart!

Yeah the weather has me pretty bummed right now. I had planned to go out at 2030 local (830pm). But i dont think thats going to happen. I think I am going to plan to check things out at midnight. Hopefully it clears out before then. Im wondering if i took a photo of this area last night by accident. I was not really identifying what i was shooting, just pointing and taking a pic. I am excited that this can be viewed with binocs.

Postby william-kowalczyk » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 am

Pretty excited about this one. It seems it won't require a 2 hr. drive to the dark site to see; bright enough to shine thru the orange glare of H-town.
Bill Kowalczyk
william-kowalczyk

UPDATE

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:25 am

UPDATE!

From S&T:
August 15th: Less than a day after its discovery, the nova is still brightening. Observers in North America watched it cross the magnitude 6.0 mark last night, and some in dark parts of the world are reporting it at 5.5 as of 10 a.m. EDT this morning. See up-to-date light curve from the AAVSO.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

UPDATE 2

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Looks like the weather is going to try and cooperate tonight. There is a general trend toward clearing skies on current satellite images. You will also notice in the attached visible satellite image some thunderstorms in Central Texas. This complex appears to be heading in our direction. But this area might fall apart after sundown. Eitherway at some point tonight the clouds from that area will most likely drift over the Houston area.

To sum up, there appears to be a small window opening up tonight for observing. Im planning to head out at 830pm. If its still clear I will go back out at midnight. Cross your fingers those clouds dont get here sooner. Latest reports say the Nova is still brightening.

Postby rene-gedaly » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:56 pm

Michael, you're not on our email list yet but Kenneth Drake has just emailed that it's been spotted in Germany at mag 5 ! This will be my first nova so like you, Bill, I'm really jazzed about this. I'm putting on the coffee soon. Thanks again, Michael. :D
rene-gedaly

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:53 pm

So I think I found it??? Please let me know. Im about to go back out before some more clouds roll in.

(UPDATE: By the time I got back out clouds had already obscured my view. So looks like tomorrow I will be back out if the clouds stay away. Also, im hearing its still brightening. Now reported at 4.9.)

UPDATE 2: I sent my photo to AAVSO to see if they could help me confirm that I had captured the nova. I got my answer this morning, Yes thats it. So even in light polluted skied its bright enough to see. Hopefully the skies remain clear tonight so I can try and get some shots in. I can only imagine what it looks like from Columbus.

Postby rene-gedaly » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:15 am

!!!!!!!
rene-gedaly

Postby william-kowalczyk » Fri Aug 16, 2013 7:29 am

Nice work!! Gotta love a fuel efficient nova!
Bill Kowalczyk
william-kowalczyk

Next

Return to Latest Space News