Sankar from Katy

Sankar from Katy

Postby sankar-padhmanabhan » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:38 pm

Hello fellow astronomy enthusiasts,

I am excited to join the Houston Astronomical Society. My name is Sankar and I live in Cinco Ranch, Katy. I have always been interested in astronomy, but only recently ventured to go out and buy a telescope. The arrival of NEOWISE and my 6 yr old showing interest, I thought it is time. I have Celesteron Astromaster 130EQ.

I have taken out the scope a few times to view planets and saw Jupiter with it's moons, Saturn rings and of course the moon. I also was able to show it to a few friends and they were all mesmerized by the rings of Saturn.

I am looking forward to venture out to the Dark site to have better viewing experience, but before I do that I want to see what DSO I can observe with my scope. I was thinking of going to George Bush Park and try to watch Andromeda? Am I being too optimistic? What objects can I realistically expect to catch with my scope in George Bush park?

Thank you for your suggestions and looking forward to learn a lot from you all.

Regards
Sankar
sankar-padhmanabhan

Re: Sankar from Katy

Postby rene-gedaly » Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:57 am

I have always been interested in astronomy, but only recently ventured to go out and buy a telescope. The arrival of NEOWISE and my 6 yr old showing interest, I thought it is time.

Join the club! Many new members tell a similar story, Sankar. Glad you and your 6 yr old found us.

As for seeing DSOs, there are a number you may be able to see from George Bush park. The problem is finding them! To find them, you'll need some stars to guide you and those stars in Andromeda to help you find the galaxy aren't visible (at least not to me) from anywhere in Houston. I'm hoping others who live in Houston will chime in on this, but I do think your best bet to see deep sky objects is to plan a trip to the dark site. From there, you and your six year old will be able to see the Andromeda Galaxy naked eye.

The problem is COVID, of course. As a beginner, it's best to have a guide. But it seems you do have some experience so I believe you'd have a great time exploring the dark site while keeping socially distant and safe.

Let us know your plans and how it goes.
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Membership Chairperson
WSIG, Observatory Trainer, Texas 45-Visual, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Postby sankar-padhmanabhan » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:08 am

Rene,

Thank you for your reply. I am hoping to venture out to Dark site on 18th Sep. It will be first day after new moon so I am hoping it wont be a bad day!!

Anyone going to be there?

Regards
Sankar
sankar-padhmanabhan

Postby rene-gedaly » Wed Sep 16, 2020 10:44 am

I've heard a number of folks are planning to get there this weekend and am hoping to get there myself. Consider this trip a dry run. Think I'll post in the Observatory forum.
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Membership Chairperson
WSIG, Observatory Trainer, Texas 45-Visual, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Return to New Member Introductions