New Member: Houston - Oak Forest

New Member: Houston - Oak Forest

Postby geoff-kempner » Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:22 pm

Hi all. I'm Geoff Kempner. I'm very new to astronomy as a hobby. I've been hooked looking at the night sky since I was a kid, walking home from basketball practice during the cold, clear winter nights in rural Minnesota. If anyone would like to opine on equipment recommendations... I'm all ears (or eyes on this site). I'll probably start with binoculars but most likely won't wait long to invest in a scope (leaning 8" w/ an equatorial mount). That being said, I'm a ball of clay at this time and appreciate insights/thoughts. Ultimately I have a feeling I'll get into astrophotography as well. :)
geoff-kempner

Re: New Member: Houston - Oak Forest

Postby rene-gedaly » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:01 am

Welcome, Geoff. Not only can you start with binoculars but you can keep them handy no matter which, or how many, telescopes you eventually get :D

Have you had a chance to look at the loaner telescope library? Take a look: https://astronomyhouston.org/programs/l ... pe-program. Try before you buy.
Rene Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Postby joe-khalaf » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:17 am

Hello Geoff, and welcome to the club. As Rene said, you may want to start off with some binoculars, but take a look at our loaner program, We have 8" telescopes on EQ mounts, and you can try a rig like that before you buy one.

I hope to see you at a club meeting or event soon!
H.A.S. Vice President and Outreach Co-Chair
Meade 12" LX200GPS
Celestron 8" Advanced Series GT
Celestron NexStar 8SE
Meade Coronado SolarMax II 60mm
Vixen 16x80 Giant ARK binoculars
Vixen 10x50 Ascot Super Wide binoculars
joe-khalaf

Postby geoff-kempner » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:43 pm

Thank you Joe and Rene. I did go ahead and get a pair of 20x80 binoculars and have really enjoyed learning how to star hop and find Messier objects in this challenging Houston sky. :) I also made it out for the Novice Lab with Stephen which was really great. Once I get to the requirement membership timeline, I will definitely look at the loaner program. Cheers!
geoff-kempner

Return to New Member Introductions