Dark Nebulae

Dark Nebulae

Postby rene-gedaly » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:09 pm

I know this isn't a popular one, but I really enjoy spotting what can't be seen. Going to work on the astroleague dark nebula list at TSP 2018. Been doing this off and on since ESP 2010. Running out of stuff I want to see that are also on the AL lists during May. Need to start hitting the fall star parties more regularly.

Anyone else working on this one?
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Re: Dark Nebulae

Postby rene-gedaly » Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:05 am

So I didn't get to TSP 2018 and therefore no DNs. But my hot-off-the-presses The Night Sky Observer's Guide Volume 4: The Glories of the Milky Way to -54° did arrive so I am going to do this list. Will probably take 5+ years of concerted effort but it's going to take me that long for Master Observer anyway... wait, maybe not.

No matter <stream of consciousness>, I've loved dark nebulae ever since I spotted them by accident at the 2010 Eldorado Star Party using binoculars. Oh, and NSOG part Quatre was written by Kepple when he retired to Hereford Arizona and could finally see all the wonderful dark nebulae and planetaries that eluded him in the big city. I forget which. So, I may just throw in the planetary list, too.

Anyway, you no longer need to go to the several online dark nebulae catalogs to find what they look like; they're all in NSOG4 :D
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Re: Dark Nebulae

Postby stephen-jones » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:38 pm

This one is on my list to do, but since getting Master Observer I've been a bit more "relaxed" at getting after the AL programs. Dark Nebulae are very interesting, and very different from the usual stuff, so it ought to be fun.
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones

Return to Astroleague Observing Programs