sunspot observing

sunspot observing

Postby edward-fraini » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:17 am

All-

I have an interest in completing the AL sunspot observing club. To that end I have been attempting to observe with a 6 in SCT with a Seymour film filter. With this rig I have only been able to see mid size and larger spots and certainly not with enough detail to sketch images anywhere near the detail needed for the sunspot program. If I push the magnification it does not help. Feels like a seeing problem but I am not so sure. I am curious if any others have been able to observe Penumbra, if so what where you using for the observation?
edward-fraini

Re: sunspot observing

Postby edward-fraini » Wed Jul 17, 2013 7:24 pm

By now I have quite a few observations under my belt and definitely find that for sun spots the Baader film is a much better choice. The closer to sun up that you can observe the more detail will be seen.

I was not able to find a good clean observing sheet for this program so I reproduced them in Power Point. They are attached for those interested. You can edit the fields to put in your own information
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
edward-fraini

Return to Astroleague Observing Programs