Lunar Program Complete!!!!

Lunar Program Complete!!!!

Postby edward-fraini » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:49 pm

Tonight, after two or three cycles of weather interference during new moon I was able to complete this lunar program with the observing of a super thin waxing crescent moon. The observation was made at 1942, and for about 30 min following as it continued to get darker. Seeing a pencil line thin moon is a real treat and I look forward to moving the bar down, this was at 29 hours and I know others have done it at 24 hours or less.

I wonder what the local, HAS, record is??? Please post your best!

Ed
edward-fraini

Re: Lunar Program Complete!!!!

Postby rene-gedaly » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Whoo-hoo! Congrats, congrats! I overheard someone say recently that what keeps him from becoming a master observer is the Lunar club :lol: .
Way to go, Ed!!!

My personal best: 29 hours and 6 minutes since I saw the super thin crescent moon tonight 6 minutes after you at 17:48.
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Postby arnie-hauswald » Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:30 pm

Well, Ed and Rene, looks like I need to pick up my program. 39hr 34min, wx cres, 11April13, is my best to date. See from my residence, so know I am losing a little to the horizon because of foliage. But I give it a watch every lunation.

Congrats, Ed, on completing the LP. Getting down to the onesies and twosies for features, it can become frustrating at times. Way to hang in there.

-arnie-
HAS member & lunar observer
ST-80 Refractor
15x70 Giant Binocs
arnie-hauswald

Postby chris-ober » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:01 am

Just got my cert and pin in the mail the other day. #904.
Now if I can just get off my butt and turn in my Herschel and double star logs...
0 .· ` ' / ·. 100
I have a high sarcasm rate. Deal with it.
include('sarcasm.php')
chris-ober

Postby steve-pinney » Wed Mar 04, 2015 12:51 pm

Just started the Lunar program and got some Naked Eye and Binocular objects in Feb and some last night (going to do the telescope part by itself, I am in no hurry). The question I have is when it talks about Lunar Rays does it mean I have to observe all of them? Tycho, Kepler, etc? or just any one of them.
Also when the list shows ~4 Days old Langrenus, do all the craters/features that follow also have to be viewed in that 4 day old window?
I know, I am a complete rookie. :/
Unitron 128 (under construction) - Tasco 10TE-5 (under construction)
TAL-1M - Parks PRT-46 D60/F900
Astro-Tech 8" F/4 Newtonian
Explore Scientific ED80
Celestron 5
Meade ETX-90EC
Jason Comet Chaser (Cause it's cute)
CG5 Mount
steve-pinney

Postby chris-ober » Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:21 pm

No, you just have to see and recognize what a lunar ray is, any ray, any time.

Some of the objects can be seen well after the time frame given and are not necessary to view on that day. Later objects won't be visibile and you may have difficulty viewing some of the 4day objects may not be visible later on simply because of the lack of contrast from the sun light being direct on -- the same reason you can't see much detail during a full moon, no side lighting = less contrast and detail seen.
0 .· ` ' / ·. 100
I have a high sarcasm rate. Deal with it.
include('sarcasm.php')
chris-ober

Postby stephen-jones » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:11 pm

Basically what Chris said. You can observe the object at any time, but most of the binocular craters won't be visible at binocular magnification outside of that window because you'll need the long shadows to pick them out.
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones

Return to Astroleague Observing Programs