New Year's Resolution - Pick an AL Program (or Three)

Re: New Year's Resolution - Pick an AL Program (or Three)

Postby stephen-jones » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:24 pm

I just rejoined HAS after being away a few years... still trying to figure out what to do about a telescope, but in the meantime I just bought a brand new pair of 15x70's and I'm going to try to see if I can complete the Binocular Messier program this year. I've never really done any serious binocular observing, so this ought to be a nice new perspective for me.
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:57 pm

Question, if one finishes an AL Program, do we turn in the documents to someone from HAS, or do we send it to AL?

Postby rene-gedaly » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:24 pm

Depends on the AL club. Most I've been working on have you send your completed list to the program coordinator. Others give the okay to give it to a master observer or experienced observer at the local club. The person who actually hands out the pins and certificates at HAS is Amelia Goldberg. Hmm, but not for all clubs. My binocular award was mailed directly to me from the coordinator.

Good to see you so active on the Forums, Michael.
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Ok Cool!

Well I have a forum where I can chat about meteorology. But this is the first time I have a place to chat about Astronomy. I have a lot of post ideas i have saved up so I might be on here a lot. Lol

Postby sfast » Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:58 pm

Actually, Amelia resigned as AL Coordinator, and now it's Doug McCormick who will handle the awards.
sfast

Postby stephen-jones » Sun Oct 06, 2013 12:24 pm

stephen-jones wrote:I just rejoined HAS after being away a few years... still trying to figure out what to do about a telescope, but in the meantime I just bought a brand new pair of 15x70's and I'm going to try to see if I can complete the Binocular Messier program this year. I've never really done any serious binocular observing, so this ought to be a nice new perspective for me.

Ok... so the verdict is, I LOVE observing with these 15x70's... thanks to the abundance of easily visible objects in the summer Milky Way, I've managed to complete the 50 objects needed for the Binocular Messier program with only 2 trips to Columbus. It looks like for that program I'm supposed to send my observations to the AL coordinator; but should I have him send the certificate to Doug if I want it presented at the meeting, or what?
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones

Postby 5031 » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:42 am

Glad to see there is so much activity around the Astronomical League observing programs. I'm your duly appointed AL Awards coordinator. To get your awards be sure to do the following:
1. Make sure you read and follow the rules of the program. If not, you may have to repeat your observations...

2. Once you've completed your observations, follow the information on the website. Some programs insist you send your observations to the program coordinator. If that's the case, provide the program coordinator with my mailing address so they can send me your awards. I will then present them to you at one of our meetings.

3.For most programs you should send your logs to me:
Electronic Prefered (i.e. PDF or Word, etc.) to [email protected]

if paper is all you have. you can use snail mail. Keep your originals and mail COPIES to me.

Email me at [email protected] and I'll send you my mailing address.

Thanks,
Doug McCormick
AL Master Observer #48

Postby stephen-jones » Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:42 pm

This thread my predecessor began could use a revival...

Anyone out there having trouble deciding what to observe? Try an Astronomical League observing program. Not only do you get a full list of objects to observe, but you get a nifty certificate and pin for completing them! I have four AL awards myself and am currently working on 3 or 4 more. For beginners I highly recommend the Messier or Lunar programs. For more info, feel free to talk to me or to Doug McCormick (our AL award co-ordinator), or just check the programs out on the AL website!
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones

Postby rene-gedaly » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:56 am

Enjoying the Herschel 1 program. Have only 34/400 to date but making this my focus as I switch from a lark to an owl in time for TSP. Hmm, not sure how the sleep schedule is going to work. Grinding a 6" mirror TSP week, too, and then there's all those great talks. How well does anyone sleep during TSP anyway? :lol:
Rene Scandone Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Membership Chair, Texas 45-Visual, Observatory Trainer
rene-gedaly

Previous

Return to Astroleague Observing Programs