Back at it

Back at it

Postby rene-gedaly » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:35 am

I'm in Galveston County almost full-time now, at least until Bolivar petitions hard to move to Chambers County. Anyway, on certain nights the backyard observing here is much, much better than what Clear Dark Sky suggests. More like the Anahuac Wildlife Refuge. Okay, not remotely. However, I do find I'm able to work the astroleague lists much more efficiently here even though I'm surrounded by floodlights that neighbors leave on all night because this is their vacay place. So far they are easily screened with a hand or an observing hood and the view to the beach is still good but the north is much worse now. Surprised that even more light doesn't get bounced up but I now have two absentee neighbors who have switched to LED flood lights. One lights up part of the grandgirls' bedroom. I doubt I'll be able to complete the deep sky binocular list here. Tried and failed to locate half a dozen objects I could see last year. Guess that's the real test. Can't replace the Dark Site. Except it sure is a far drive from here.
Rene Gedaly, Forum Moderator
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Re: Back at it

Postby rene-gedaly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:51 am

...doubt I'll be able to complete the deep sky binocular list here.

I DID complete the Deep Sky Binocular list from Bolivar. Just had to get up early and wait for objects to move south.
Texas 45-Visual, Web Tech Team, Observatory Trainer, Historian, President 2015-2017
rene-gedaly

Postby stephen-jones » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:52 pm

Definitely a fun list. I completed most of that one in one lovely November night a few years back
-Stephen Jones
VSIG Moderator
stephen-jones

Postby rene-gedaly » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:32 pm

I'm taking the advice of you master observers to heart. I started the deep sky object list in 2010!
rene-gedaly

Return to Astroleague Observing Programs